Behavior changes after bladder stone surgery

Mizz P

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:05 pm

Just about two weeks ago, my 4+ year-old intact boar had surgery to remove a bladder stone, about 1.6cm. During his recovery he is exhibiting new/different behaviors. A little background: For about a week before the surgery, he wasn't eating well, was drinking a lot of water, and his poops became very small. He had also stopped eating timothy hay in favor of smaller and smaller amounts orchard hay and oat hay. He also lost a little weight. He made it through the surgery like a champ and it took a couple of days for him to "snap out of it." His appetite came back with a on about day three or four so we backed off the Critical Care. He is now off the Meloxicam and Enrofloxacin and CC. New/different behaviors:

1. Different: None of his favorite foods are favorites any more (he was always a picky eater.) He will readily eat dried pea flakes and fresh grasses from outside, but he seems almost distrustful of his regular greens.
2. New: He has started chewing on everything he can get his teeth on, but not much hay. During floor time, he used to frequently test bite things but never chewed routine household items. Tonight, he chewed the rug, an umbrella, a steel pipe, a plastic bottle, and plastic floor covering before I finally just put him back in his cage. Historically, he has never been interested in various wood chew toys, but now he's eating all manner of Oxbow wood and straw doo-dads, his wooden hidey, and paper bags.
3. New: He has become a hyper-sniffer of my hand. When I reach to pet him, he sniffs my hand around and around and around, regardless of having washed my hands or not. He sniffs and sniffs and then takes a nibble, then sniffs and sniffs again. This has been going on for several days and it's almost like some form of OCD.
4. Different: He lets my husband pet him which used to be mostly forbidden.
5. Different: He sleeps mostly outside of his hidey.
I'm hoping this is just a result of the anesthesia and that he will slowly turn back into his previous self. Has anyone else experienced odd behaviors in a guinea pig after surgery?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:10 pm

I'm going to address the issue about chewing on everything. Chewing can be a sign of pain. There may be real pain or discomfort that is causing this. The other behaviors, unsure! Hoping members who have had more guinea pigs can chime in!
https://www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

Mizz P

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:22 pm

Oh, my! I had never even considered the pain/chewing connection! We still have Meloxicam so I may start him back on that and see if there is any change. Thanks so much!

Mizz P

Post   » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:49 pm

Update - After Lynx's suggestion, I administered two more doses of Meloxicam over two days. He is still drinking a LOT of water, but he is now back to eating his beloved carrots, timothy hay, and spring mix (minus the spinach) is back on the menu, and his chewing is way, WAY down. Oddly, the sniffing has also decreased. He still lets my husband pet him and is still enjoying sleeping outside of his hidey, but the volume of poop shows that he IS actually spending time in there as well. I think my overall conclusion is that any change in behavior, no matter how nutty it may seem, could be a sign of pain or discomfort.
Thanks a million, Lynx, for getting us headed in the right direction.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:21 pm

We don't know for sure if pain was the key and meloxicam the cure but no matter what, I am happy to hear he seems to be doing better!