Emergency please help: Duck's URI gasping for breath

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:31 pm

I suggest warm water soaking twice a day. We have an older pig with mild bumblefoot. Baytril followed by daily soaks has kept it to a minimum, although it's not completely gone. Older pigs often move less because of arthritis pain, and can benefit from a low dose of meloxicam aka Metacam.

You can try added a small amount of chlorhexidine or Epson salts to the water.

Edited to add: I see that the wipes contain chlorhexidine. I would soak in warm water and wipe afterwards.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:25 pm

Epsom salts can be helpful but if you use them, be extremely careful about not letting it get in their eyes. See the warning on this page:
https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

beefyduck

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:53 pm

Mmeadow, is your pig on baytril longterm for the bumblefoot? How is his/her gut on it? Duck has only been on it for 1 week but her poops and appetite are an absolute wreck. Of course it could be the stress from her hospital stay/uri/constant handling for feeding and medication compounding to make everything terrible for her. She is also on multiple medications, but the vet seemed to be mostly worried about the baytril messing up her gut.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:03 pm

beefyduck

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:15 am

It does seem like she is experiencing sensitivity to antibiotics. Not sure if it's to the baytril or azythromycin, but she is very lethargic and not eating on her own. She has been on baytril for 8 days and azythromycin for 7days. 3 of these days she has had both antibiotics as injections. I am weighing her daily and the trend seems to be losing 30g per day with critical care.

Before we brought her home from the hospital I asked the vet what the plan is if the antibiotics make her stop eating and the vet just said I will have to force feed. She didn't mention the possibilities of intolerance and changing antibiotics. We have a follow up appointment tomorrow and I will ask about taking her off one of the antibiotics.

Her current probiotic is mixed into her water bottle but she hasn't been drinking on her own. Recently I've been trying to syringe feed her more of the prebiotic water but I'm not sure if it's helping yet

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:10 am

The lethargy is generally considered a very serious sign. And it can be very hard to maintain a guinea pig by hand feeding alone (if your pet is eating absolutely nothing else right now).

It may still be worthwhile to have an xray done to examine the heart. If she is lethargic, perhaps no anesthetic or only a whiff might be required.

I am sorry she is so ill.

beefyduck

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:36 am

Do you think her lethargy is related to a heart problem rather than her antibiotics? While she was at the hospital the vet told me she no longer suspects heart failure because she responded well to fluids. But I guess she could have heart problems that aren't heart failure.

I'm hoping for some good news at the follow up. Duck has so many people rooting for her. I will be sure to update here

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:58 pm

I do not have a medical background - but try to offer help and other avenues to pursue with my limited knowledge. There are multiple issues that can be lumped under "heart problems". I think I added a link to the heart page.

I can say, regarding heart issues, if her ears are red/hot, (lips not blue, etc.) that would likely indicate good circulation and rule out some types of heart issues. The lethargy is still worrisome.

beefyduck

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:38 pm

we are back from the follow up. The vet was certain that her lethargy and appetite are due to the antibiotics, but she thinks it is absolutely necessary to keep going with both courses. She didn't give me much information on the result of the culture of her nasal discharge, but she said the results were "horrible" and there are a lot of bacteria that are resistant to everything. She was happy to see that Duck is now doing much better than when she had been hospitalized. I did tell her that Duck is still sneezing (mostly when she is being handled for feeding) and she reiterated how important it is to keep going with both antibiotics. She wasn't worried with Duck's energy levels or appetite and just said that this is what Duck needs. I wish she had taken the time to talk through with me the side effects of the antibiotics and what the recovery process will look like for her wrecked gut. Instead she just said with finality that Duck will absolutely need both medications and that we will just have to allow the chaos to happen in her gut and deal with it afterwards. I am hoping she will start to adjust to the antibiotics soon and its not one of those situations where either the infection kills or the cure itself kills.

We have another follow up appointment next week for an xray to make sure the infection is fully gone. The vet wants Duck on antibiotics for an additional 1 week after clinical signs subside. She refused to do xray without sedation and I am really hesitant to sedate, so I'm thinking about not going to that follow up.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:30 pm

The little experience I had with Baytril was it only took about 2 or 3 days to cause loss of appetite, which was probably due to nausea. So my pig just sat around all puffed up and didn’t want to eat. It also took several days after the Baytril was done to get things rolling again.

Antibiotics should be given with food, but when they’re not eating enough that makes things worse. Can the vet recommend anything for nausea? I use Meclizine, but that is for nausea and dizzyness caused by inner ear issues.

It’s so difficult when they’re sick.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:37 pm

"It’s so difficult when they’re sick." - I couldn't agree with you more. I hope this stubborn vet's treatment protocol works.

beefyduck

Post   » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:23 pm

Agreed. It is just the worst when they're sick. I feel so helpless when she's not feeling well and it's just constant worrying when I have to be away from her.

I have a positive update to share today! Duck's energy levels seem better today. She still sleeps a lot, but when she is awake she marches around her cage like a little soldier. My mom said she ate some hay today!! I didn't see it for myself so it definitely was more like a nibble than a good graze, but it is a very welcome development. She's also got a bit more of an appetite for her veggies. She stayed the same weight as yesterday which is an absolute win because she had been losing 30 g per day.

Yesterday I mixed her visbiome probiotic water into her critical care as well as a drop of benebac. I wonder if that does the trick. I am very happy with her progress today!