TMJ

pigwrangler

Post   » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:40 pm

I have a 3 1/2 year old boar that started having a problem picking up his pellets. He is having a dental in the morning. The vet examined him yesterday, looked at his mouth with an otoscope, and didn't see anything obvious. She did however, say that his TMJ felt swollen. The vet said that she has seen this in cats and dogs, but never in guinea pigs. She is an exotics vet, and has experience with guinea pigs. She gave me meloxicam, and I'm picking up gabapentin tomorrow. Anyone ever heard of TMJ problems in guinea pigs?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:21 am

Yes, absolutely! Years back, Pinta wrote about this. You might want to read more here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/chinsling.html

This may not be precisely what your guinea pig is experiencing but might still be helpful.

pigwrangler

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:47 pm

His dental went well. Vet said his teeth are perfect. Nothing abnormal in his mouth. Since they did xrays for his teeth, I asked the vet to check for bladder for stones. All clear. So, both sides of his jaw have swollen, tender tendons/ TMJ. The vet also said she looked at xray for bone destruction due to bone infection. All clear. No sign of ear infection either. That vet was very thorough. So, I am going to treat his pain with meloxicam and gabapentin, and will watch for improvement. If the vet wants to try a trial of baytril, they work with an online pharmacy to get it to me. It was a 3 hour drive each way to go to the animal hospital. My yogi pig did so well today, I'm so happy! Thank you for the help. I did look at that link.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:34 pm

I would continue to be very observant of his ability to eat. Not rereading, but imagine you are weighing often right now (weight loss the quickest way to tell if something is really off).

I take it with the xray, the possibility of elongated roots was explored too? I am guessing if present, it could affect movement of the jaw. Unsure if it would cause swelling.

It sounds like your vet was very thorough.

pigwrangler

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:45 pm

Lynx, yes she explored everything that could be wrong. I am still watching him at almost midnight. He has been eating everything in sight. But now he has bloat, I assume from all the meds they gave him, and his being sedated, and not moving around much earlier today. I am giving mylicon drops, and massaging his belly. He is starting to pass gas and some poop, and now I hear some bowel sounds. But I am going to be up quite late watching him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:52 pm

I am sorry to hear you are dealing with gas. Bugs Mom had tips for massaging to help move it along:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=117

pigwrangler

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:14 am

He is continuing to have intermittent bloat. I'm still giving him mylicon and belly massages with good results. I'm thinking that the meloxicam and gabapentin that he is getting is affecting his gut motility. The vet prescribed meloxicam 1.5 mg/ml. He is supposed to get 0.9 ml twice a day. And gabapentin 100mg/ml, 0.42 ml once to twice daily as needed. He weighs 3lb, 1.5 oz. Can someone check dosages?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:10 pm

The guide lists 0.2 mg/kg, PO, q24h for the meloxicam but I think current usage can be higher and can vary.

There's a handy calculator where you can plug in numbers to find out what he is getting. Looks like he is about 1.4 kilos.
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

Looks like dosages of appr. 1mg/kg (on the higher side) for the meloxicam and about 30 mg/kg for the gabapentin (I don't know what a recommended dose would be). Use the calculator and see if you come up with the same numbers (do double check mine).

You could ask the vet about possibly adding a motility drug.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:26 pm

That's a LOT of Metacam. Why is he on such a high dose plus the Gabapentin? At his weight (roughly 1.4 kg as Lynx said), an average/standard dose would be roughly .2cc's or .3cc's at the highest end, and that's q24 hours not twice a day. Any chance you have the decimal in the wrong place? I know some vets prescribe higher doses for short periods of time (such as during recovery from surgery), but I really would question that much Metacam for him on top of the other drug. Is he staying well-hydrated?

Ditto on asking about a motility drug.

pigwrangler

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:01 pm

I didnt misread the prescription on either med. I am a retired RN, and can see the tiniest line on a syringe... only with reading glasses now, lol. I am only giving him 0.5 of metacam once every 24 hours. It is helping him. And I am only giving him a half dose of gabapentin. I give that in the evening, and the metacam in the morning. His appetite comes and goes. I am supplementing with critical care and vitamin c. He is drinking his water, he has a bottle as well as a dish, and he uses both. I weigh him daily, at the same time every morning. He is gaining weight. His jaw still feels swollen. Thank you all for your advice.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:31 pm

With the swelling you are feeling in his jaw, is there tenderness? The metacam should certainly help with any pain. Glad to hear he is gaining weight (a good sign).

I hope you can sort this out.

pigwrangler

Post   » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:56 pm

I am diligently working with him daily. Today, he got by on 0.3 ml of meloxicam. His jaw is not tender to touch. He was much more alert and active today on the smaller dose of med. He is still not eating many pellets, just drinking water and eating hay. He gets critical care 4-6 times a day, depending on how much he has eaten on his own. He did not bloat today at all, I'm sure it's because he was more active. Much more active bowel sounds today, and he is pooping up a storm. Only a fur baby mom would rejoice over poops, lol.