Hay

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:26 pm

This 2nd and 3rd cut timothy has tangled strands of brown hay mixed in. I’ve started a new bag of Oxbow orchard hay, but she likes the timothy better.

I’ve seen Millie eat some of the oat hay but a lot of it is stalks. She is a stress eater. When I clean the cage, move any hideys, or pick up wee pads she dives into the hay eating as fast as she can and whining the whole time. The same when I give her lettuce or corn husk while putting salve on her feet. The more stressed she gets, the faster she eats and she just rips the food out of my hands.

I used to be that way at work so I can empathize.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:50 pm

I've gotten Sweet Meadow Farm hay from Chewy over the last couple of years. The one time I had a bad box of hay they were very quick to remedy it. I'd mixed up my autoshipments and they were going to send me yet another box but I asked for a refund vs replacement and they credited my account. With only a few pigs (and now just one) I don't need the big boxes anymore.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:40 pm

I just recently received 2 bags of Oxbow Orchard grass hay from Chewy. When I opened the bags, the hay smelled kind of smokey. Millie wasn’t a fan and left most of it, so I ended up donating it to the Humane Society. I picked up a bag of Full Cheeks timothy at Petsmart, which will tide us over until we have enough for another auto ship. This was fresh and smelled wonderful.

I rarely have a problem with Oxbow. I’m sure Chewy would have refunded me, but I bought it on a buy-four get-one free special along with two boxes of Oxbow Stacks, so it didn’t amount to much.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:10 am

Has anyone tried the GuineaDad hay boxes? I ordered 3 of the timothy They’re advertised as “no mess” and they are convenient. Millie likes the hay well enough, but it’s packed in the box so tight I have to pry it out so she can get ahold of it.

I was also concerned about the box falling on her when she tugged at the hay, so I ended up threading a cord through the top to tie it up. The hay seems to be short strands, but that may be because Millie is munching her way through it instead of pulling strands of hay out.

Just wondering about anyone else’s opinion.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:36 am

They look interestingly packaged. Conceptually a good idea. Guessing the eating creates the short strands. I like your idea of stabilizing it so it can't fall over.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:58 pm

When I first saw the GuineaDad hay boxes, I thought they were a great idea. But in use, I found them not as functional. The hay is indeed very tightly packed so it's hard for the pig to get at it. When the pigs have finished eating from the lower openings, unless you have a pig who is able to eat standing up on their hind legs, I had to push the top hay down so they could access it and it would fall out through the lower openings in the process. I actually found them to be rather messy. Just my personal experience. The clip did hold tight so there was no risk of the box falling.

One adaptation which works well for me is using recycled paper boxes, cutting out a couple of holes in front and on the side and then filling it with hay. I get SmallPet Select's timothy and their hay strands are usually nice and long so the hay doesn't all fall out out onto the floor when I fill it. (I'm not so good at posting photos here but If you want to pm me through my profile, I can email you a photo of what I use.)

I use them in combination with fabric hay bags that I sew myself, just for the variety, and the pigs will often switch from one to the other.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:12 pm

Waddles, you can email me the pic to post, too. I think you know where to find me ;-)
So does ItsaZoo, for that matter!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:31 pm

When I have Millie out for floor time, I put a box of the hay on its back so the holes are facing up. There’s an opening at the top of the box, so that ends up on one side. I don’t do that in the cage because it takes up so much room, but I have tried laying it on its side so she can access all the openings more easily. Rabbits would be able to stand up and reach the upper openings.

The description said each box is a 15-day supply, which sounded great to me. But it is rather cumbersome and messy in some respects.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:01 pm

Here you go, Waddles! I like both your fabric bag and the tasty Triscuits box!

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:10 pm

Thanks, Lynx. Wonder if the pigs are thinking "How come we don't get Triscuits?" :-)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:51 pm

I think I have always loved them! So few ingredients. Such classics. I only wish there were suitable less expensive knock-offs.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:40 am

I just bought a box myself for the same reasons. Simple, whole grain, just a good product.