Gidget Medical Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 12, 2023 12:31 am

She does indeed sound like a very capable veterinarian. Everything you say makes sense. I hope the ear canal cleaning works out well.

And hands down, I am NOT surprised she is otherwise in excellent shape. A reflection on your excellent care.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri May 12, 2023 12:09 pm

Today is not a good day. We have an appointment at 4:40 to euthanize.

Gidget is really struggling, rolling, puffed up, and having difficulty just munching baby lettuce. I contacted Dr. Anderson and told her I don’t think I can keep Gidget healthy enough for a surgical procedure next week. The Dr. was very understanding and reiterated that with the surgery there were no guarantees.

So I tried my best. I don’t want her to suffer so I’ll have to say goodbye.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 12, 2023 12:29 pm

Oh, man, I am so terribly sorry. This is a heartbreaking decision for you. With no clear end, no strong belief that even the surgery would lead to a solution (I think of the other vet saying, "...these infections go deep into tissue that antibiotics usually don’t reach..."), one looks at euthanasia.

All the struggles you and Gidget have been through make my heart sad. You have all my sympathy. I will be thinking of you.

I am so sorry.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri May 12, 2023 3:21 pm

I'm so sorry. You've tried so hard with her, and just when you think you've found someone who might be able to help, it all goes downhill. Hugs to you.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri May 12, 2023 4:02 pm

Thank you Lynx and Bpatters, I appreciate your sympathy and empathy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 12, 2023 4:56 pm

I will remember the good things you have shared.
Gidget

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Fri May 12, 2023 9:23 pm

I am so sorry. It makes me sad to hear this given your Herculean efforts to help her get well. Take care.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat May 13, 2023 11:35 am

Oh dear. I am so sorry. You've brought a lot of joy into her life and she's brought joy into yours.

If I recall, you've been dealing with health problems from the beginning. So hard for you, but she's been lucky to have you as a caretaker. This makes me very sad.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat May 13, 2023 1:25 pm

I appreciate everyone being so kind. Yes, Bookfan, the ear problems started about 3 months after I adopted her. Last summer she had images and bloodwork and they said she had head tilt and there were ear canal changes. We had long-term antibiotics and pain meds then and she seemed to completely recover. She was doing so well, I thought that was behind us. And it doesn't help that there is only one certified exotic vet in the area, and any other clinics are an hour or two away. I just wish I could have done something more so I'm really having a tough time today.

Lynx, thank you for posting the link. I have to remember there were so many more happy times and what fun she had running zoomies and snuggling with me.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 13, 2023 2:42 pm

I just wish I could have done something more...

So many of us second guess treatment decisions during the course of an illness, no matter knowing we did the best we could. You explored new avenues and provided loving care. She did have a wonderful life with you. I wish dealing with medical issues was not part of your time with her.

I am glad you shared all the pictures and videos you did - they will be wonderful memories once the hardest times have passed.
Hugs.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun May 14, 2023 3:16 am

Hey, what are you talking about? You gave her your love, your heart, a forever home how ever so short, you gave her stability. She gave you love and humour and comfort. You each gave eachother yourselves 100% and in my eyes they are wonderful gifts! She is smiling down on you telling everyone how lucky she was and zooming up a storm.

Second guessing yourself will only eat you up! You made the toughest decision a pet owner has to make! Ending Gidget's suffering and starting your own. You did what your heart said was right for her. You were brave and did right by her! Big hugs from me and J mob down under! Be kind to yourself!