Gidget Medical Thread

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:09 am

Sending lots of good vibes.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:32 pm

Today is a better day! Gidget is eating hay, staying mostly upright with a swagger rather than a wobble, and she actually wheeked a bit when the refrigerator opened. She’s moving a lot more and attempting a clumsy zoomie. I’m hoping this continues, and I’ll keep offering CC to get her weight back up.

As far as opening windows, we had them open for a few day but now the temps dropped and we’re getting snow. In fact, we’re about 3/4 of an inch away from our all-time snowiest winter on record. Such excitement in Central MN!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:39 pm

"As far as opening windows, we had them open for a few day but now the temps dropped and we’re getting snow. In fact, we’re about 3/4 of an inch away from our all-time snowiest winter on record. Such excitement in Central MN!"

- yikes! It has been in the 80's here the last few days. It doesn't sound like you are in "pollen season" at all.

So glad to hear this is a better day for her!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:27 pm

Whoever claims that pets lower blood pressure should spend some time with Gidget. Last night I was moving her from her large cage to the smaller overnight one when she launched herself out of my hands and landed on the floor. I don’t know what spooked her but at least she landed on the area rug. She was on her side, rolled on her back, got to her feet and took off. I managed to corner her and when I picked her up we were both terrified.

I checked her over several times last night and today. She was spooked yet this morning, but she’s moving fine. Input and output are good, she’s begging for food, she’s active and tunneling under her blankets. I gave her Metacam this morning thinking she might be sore or bruised somewhere.

This afternoon I’m noticing one side of her tummy is larger than the other. It’s behind her ribs and in front of her beck leg. The area is soft and not tender when I press on it. Almost like a little bloat but no hollow sound when I tap on it. I’ve felt her ribs and back legs, both sides move and feel the same.

She’s been eating like mad since she started feeling good, so maybe it’s food. I just never noticed a lopsided tummy before.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:07 pm

What a scare! I remember how I never trusted my guinea pigs not to jump and tried to remember to use a hold that secured them (a technique I added to the handling page).

Gidget is one of a kind!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:26 pm

I had one hand around her ribs and chest with a finger above one front leg, the other hand under her butt. She was facing me with her feet against my chest. I know she’s anxious to get in her cage and start on the fresh hay, but we weren’t there yet. I may have to throw a towel over her or cover her eyes so she can’t see where we are.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:29 pm

Goes to show even the most determined guinea pig can escape an experienced caretaker!!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:13 pm

I’ve got a pair of grippy gloves for working in the yard. I may need to wear those just to pick her up.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:26 am

On that handling page, Chii gives her very effective method of stopping guinea pigs from squirming/jumping when returning them to their cage. Maybe training her that you will not set her down until she stops squirming would work for Gidget too?

I am also reminded of Pavorati, who gave meds with one hand shielding the eyes. Your mention of covering her eyes might indeed work.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:09 am

Yesterday was 14 days on Sulfatrim. Gidget is a little clumsy sometimes, but she does have chronic ear canal issues so that might be the reason.

She has good input and output, but she seems to have a gas bubble on one side. She’s eating a lot of hay and I’ve cut way back on veggies. I was going to continue the sulfatrim for a few more days just to make sure the URI and ear infection are both gone, but that might be messing with her gut bacteria, so I think I have to quit.

I’m giving Benebac and started gas drops.Tonight I’ll give her a tummy massage. She doesn’t seem uncomfortable but I don’t want it to get worse.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:11 am

I was going to suggest a massage. You are always on top of things!

Still pulling for a sustainable recovery!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:46 am

Good input & output is always welcome. Now the gas bubble. Come on, Gidget! I'm cheering for you to maintain your progress.