Peanut

daj

Post   » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:25 pm

Yes the prescription was .3 on the Baytril, and I dropped it to .25 - .26ish the last two doses. Then I w=saw pink in the urine after almost no visible urine the day before. And yes, I was wondering about giving a tad more on top of the .25 after seeing pink again. Sorry for my useless attempt att the decimals. Basically, my thought was that if .3 is too high and if .25 is too low, I should inch it up a little.

I just did get acidophilus. So he's getting that in his wet food. I also stir a pellet from one or both my other pigs in the wet food and then pick them out. And I mix up a liquid that's had a poop in it with some of the horse probiotic and force a couple of syringes of that down twice a day. Currently, his energy is good, and his appetite is better. He looks to have dropped some weight after not eating for a day, but I am now feeding extra meals of pellets.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:52 pm

Between 0.3 and 0.25cc, there is so little difference I think the pink in the urine was a coincidence.

Hoping he improves!!

daj

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:23 pm

Yes, inept with the decimals again. Say I'm giving .25 and some dribbles, maybe a significant amount. What's best to do, give maybe .02 more?

I called the vet today and the advice was to give it another week. If a week on Bactrim didn't do it, and now a week on Baytril didn't clear it, it seems unlikely another week of Baytril is going to do the trick. I am at a loss. What if I'm in the same position in another week? I forgot to mention to the vet that I lowered the dose. Would going back up from .25 to .3 be advisable? But, then I imaging his appetite will go again. Right now, he is eating well enough and drinking and pooping. I would dread seeing him refuse all food again. But, his urine is still pink.

daj

Post   » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:03 pm

I am pretty much back to giving .3 ml of the Baytril as was originally prescribed, but it's clearly not helping. I am going to call the vet now to say I don't need anymore of what I've been doing to know it's not helping him. So now what, a culture? I am starting to fear the worst for Peanut.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:56 pm

I'm so sorry that the Baytril hasn't helped. Remind me, has the vet tried Bactrim?

daj

Post   » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:19 pm

I tried Bactrim for over a week before she put him on the Baytril for over a week now. Tonight I hear him squealing when pooping and peeing. I am thinking of taking him off the AB altogether. Maybe he has stones that she missed. I am thinking of putting him on the diet that I used to help my other pig pass his stones.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:40 am

It does sound like a stone may be present, although a UTI can very often accompany it. Do you have a copy of the x-ray that you could post here? I think I'd be inclined to ask for more imaging either way, since it's possible that the stone was "hiding" somewhere and was missed.

I would not rely on diet to pass the stone if there is one. Although I have had one or two males who were able to pass very small ones, it is much harder for a male to pass stones than females. It is also very painful.

I think if Peanut were my guy, I would want another vet to look at him and possibly also see about culturing his urine. I still think Bactrim is the better choice for UTI. Just my $0.02.

I'm so sorry you are both dealing with this.

daj

Post   » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:34 am

This is a terrible situation. I am so sick of dealing with veterinary care. I don't have access to the x-ray right now. Now I am going to be facing another emergency visit that I can't afford. He's now doing something I've never seen before... chewing and eating small corners of fleece. I'm not giving the AB this morning, and will see if there is another vet I can get him to, but I can't imagine anyone being available other than an emergency hospital.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:13 am

We ve been dealing with UTI for like 4 months before we got clear result...

One week of AB is not a lot at all.. Pig can be on AB the longest 6 weeks(!).

I suggest when taking AB to do like i did..if you have dog clinic near check urine every week or every few days(collect it at home and request full anaysis) and they should see if AB is working(they must see less and less baccteria) so you will get this under control..
In our case Bactrim didnt work, Marbocyl did..and we ve been also using shilintong for 14 days before completely clear results with no bacteria.

If x-ray doesnt show stones, maybe ultrasound will...good luck!

daj

Post   » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:49 pm

Thanks so much... very helpful! I didn't give the Baytril this morning and he seems relieved. I haven't seen blood since last night, and he's eaten everything he's been given. I feel a bit better, and I hope he does too. I will be looking into the Marbocyl. Thanks again.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:45 pm

Chewing on the bedding is a sign of pain. Do you still have him on Metacam?

daj

Post   » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:24 pm

I am feeling cautiously optimistic at this point. I stopped both the Metacam and the AB since last night. Since then he seems much better. I've seen no blood, and his appetite has returned. And he shows no sign of pain, but I haven't handled him. I called the vet yesterday and today. She only does two days a week here and is at other clinics the rest of the week. They said both days they would text her to have her call me or relay info through their office. I've heard nothing.

I will get urine to the vet on Monday, but the exotics vet isn't there until the end of the week. I'm feeding him my wet mix, which contains acidophilus, vitamin C, shilintong, chanka piedra, pellets, poop, some melon juice, and the dry mix I make from quinoa, barley, flax, brewer's yeast as a liquid in which the hay is soaked. He is preferring this to dry pellets. He is also voraciously eating his vegetables. I'm going to continue as is until I can get his urine checked and see where I go from there. Doesn't it seem strange that he consistently had visible blood in his urine, and it was getting more and more concentrated through yesterday, and then it disappears when I stop the meds? What could this indicate? I have no clue.