Peanut

daj

Post   » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:27 pm

Have to be quick- under possible wildfire evac
Peanut is 1.5 yr. male, seems in good health, but today urinated and it was red, not pink, but brownish red, normal quantity, all same color... have not seen more... getting temp cages ready
appreciate advice

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:26 am

Hope you're safe. Some types of food can cause a change in urine color. I've noticed with my Lacey that dandelion and other dark green leafy veggies will cause a temporary orange-brown color. Hopefully Peanut is drinking plenty of water. Maybe keep track of the veggies that you feed and see if the color returns - hopefully it won't.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:44 am

Ditto ItsaZoo. Also, sometimes a rusty red color is due to porphyrins in the urine (they get darker after urination).

daj

Post   » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:33 am

Looks like my last post didn't take. We are still in "ready" status, and supposed to get rain next week, so things look promising. Peanut seems fine. No sign of any discoloration since that one time. That night I went out to look for the piece of newspaper he urinated on. When it happened I was home on my lunch break and in a rush, so I wanted to confirm what I thought I saw earlier. You both are probably right about it not being blood. I found the newspaper on my compost pile, and the stain from the evaporated urine was only brownish around the perimeter. It did not look like it was actually blood. This is such a relief! I'd never seen this before with any of my pigs. There were no changes in his diet, and it was a huge puddle of urine and so dark. Weird. Thanks for the help!

I was also wondering if you have any advice or know of any info on how to ease the experience on the pigs, if we did actually have to evacuate. I have my crates made. One for 3 pigs that takes up my whole back seat and two on the front seat. If the opened a school gym as a shelter, I don't image they would allow animals too, and a tent seems scary, as we have coyotes and other predators here. So, keeping them in the car might be the only option. It would be rough on them no matter how it plays out. Hopefully we never get to that point. Do you know of stories of those who may actually gone through this?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:34 pm

I believe over the years we have talked about evacuation. A search of Cavy Chat might turn up some of those topics.

To calm them down, I'd grab a bag of greens and maybe a couple green or red peppers - whatever they normally eat - and give them some while in their cages. If it is hot and you have to leave the windows of the car cracked or open, make sure your crates are extremely secure against predators.

By the way, there are even battery operated fans that, on low, will stay on for a very long time. I have one by Ryobi that I use with my chickens. Can also be plugged in.

daj

Post   » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:09 pm

Peanut is about 2 1/2 years now. He started having blood in his urine, so I started him on Bactrim, at the same dose his mate got when he had a UTI a while back. After 11-12 days he still had pink urine, so I took him in for urinalysis and x-ray. The x-ray looked good, with no detectable trouble. The vet prescribed Baytril 100mg/ml at .3 ml, 2 x per day and Metacam 1.5 mg/ml at .5 ml. After 2 doses his blood is more concentrated. I am wondering if I need to check with the vet again or is variation in the concentration of blood to be expected?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:50 pm

That seems like a pretty high dose of Baytril. Are you using a probiotic with it? What is his weight? You mentioned that you gave him the same amount of Bactrim as his cagemate, but do they weigh the same? How old was the Bactrim? Bactrim is generally pretty effective at clearing up a simple UTI, although more stubborn cases may need a longer course of it to clear it up completely. That is also a high dose of Metacam. Is this an experienced exotics vet?

Are you noticing any hunching or crying when urinating? Did you have a look at the xrays yourself?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:26 pm

Ditto Sef.

If there are absolutely no stones or signs of stones, check these links which discuss interstitial cystitis:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=21

daj

Post   » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:15 pm

He hasn't shown any sign of pain when peeing or pooping. There's been no blood today, but his appetite has dropped off. He's still eating all his vegetables... lettuce, carrot, pepper, but has little interest in hay or pellets. It seems I've been down this road before. I tried syringe feeding him, a poop soup mix of hay from a coffee grinder, pellets, bit of molasses. He fights it off, and I am lucky to force 3 ml before giving up. I think I am going to add gas-x to the next attempt. The Bayril is also not in suspension, just straight med, which is nasty for him to have injected into his mouth. The vet said if she compounded it he would be getting a full ml. Seems weird to me. She also sold me a horse probiotic which he refuses to touch. I felt like they gouged me for $300 on what I expected to be under $200.

daj

Post   » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:23 pm

I did see the x-rays, and yes, she is an experienced exotics vet. Not that that means much to me, in light of my experience with a variety of vets over the years. I would just say I'm not impressed. The x-rays mean nothing to me, but see took one view twice and went over it with me. I wonder if I should back off on the Baytril a little? I am not sure of his weight. She said he was a little hefty, but not over weight. I have a scale, but it's not accurate enough for calculating a dose, but I could check anyway or call the vet tomorrow and see what he weighed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:04 pm

On the theory it will help, perhaps you can force feed (syringe) the horse probiotic? What is it called?

Scales are so handy in a household. Perhaps you could get a new one?

daj

Post   » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:16 am

It's called Advita... in a giant syringe