Unsure of what happened to my pig

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:27 am

No Jewel had URI. He took a poop sample and there was just poop. No good or bad bacteria the AB's had killed them off! Yet all Jewel needed was to breathe steam.

Have you tried a battery operated toothbrush or vibrating pillow for his tummy? Try towels and/or blankets as bedding and change when ever wet so not getting bacteria with that. Put hay out of wee wee height, and food too. Make sure you wash food and your hands. Water bottle fresh water and bottle clean every day. Make sure hay is healthy and dust free-wish I could get dust free hay. What water are you giving Irie?

Treat Irie as a child and try to keep everything clean and limit the chances of getting bacteria. Is Irie in an area that gets dust? Lay on floor and make yourself Irie's height and see what you can see. Good luck. I hope I have helped a little.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:48 am

Thank you very much for your reply:)! and information...I will sure keep him clean and cut some of his very long hair on belly..he s got water bottle,...we here drink water normally from the pipes, high quality here in the hills and forrest where we live..

Yeah, i know JEwel had URI this time around(if it even was bacterial URI if just steam helped)..but didnt you wrote that once in the past flagyl worked when bactrim didnt for uti?Do you remember, ..or i misunderstood you ..i need accurate informations..

And if anybody knows any possible have more informations for urinary tract infection when baytril and bactrim dont work, please write.

WE would need our old previous exotic vet or our dog vet bein for exotic but i cant contact any of them so..:(I can contact dog vet, but its tough chance he will have something more to say on this topic, he s not the one to stop, tough..he tought me that,anyway..

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:00 am

None of my pigs have had a UTI- touching wood. She had been on Bactrim for her URI it would clear it up but it always came back. So vet suggested Flagyl as gentle on tummy and usually well tolerated. As to water I use bottle water. Good Luck Irie is lucky to have you! If he appears to be OK, eating, maintaining weight I would give his tummy a rest! No ABs for a while.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:24 am

Thank you for informations and well wishes..!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:34 am

Maybe one of these may help? https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... gs+and+UTI OR https://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html Remember there is acid rain and rats, birds and things can contaminate water.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:27 pm

I was not familiar with fosfomicyn (worried it was in the "cillin" family, like penicillin). Still unsure about its use in guinea pigs.

Have you done research to determine if it is relatively safe? It does look like a promising antibiotic for stubborn urinary tract infections. Ideally, with any infection, one determines the bacteria present and then selects an antibiotic to fight it.

If you want to explore more about it, this search tells me your answers may be out there.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fosfomicyn+veterinary&ia=web

Lisa12

Post   » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:12 am

Thank you Lynx for answer and informations!

I tought i found it on some rabbit website, but..maybe i am wrong cause i cant find it no more..if i will i ll post it here...

Dog vets who look bit more precisely said he has two types of bacteria. We tried culture with free catch in september last year but failed. But than miracle happend Irie had 0 bacteria in urine(i blame it on shilintong-we started today), just around a time we did free catch, but as we *trained* for it, we were adding extra water and it worked. Of course we were more than happy even if free catch culture failed. Than in march this year it repeated.

However..now i dont know...All I can find is tetracyclines(we cant take..), cholorphenicol(if we can even get it), azytromicin and metronidazol would highly unlikely to help for uti so that would be just trying. I wish some vet or someone would suggest else, but theydidnt.
I found this if anyone is interested:
https://[removed].com/images/cavy-urine-culture.jpg
but marbocyl we tried, doxy we cant, bactrim we did, clavox is penicilin as far as i know so is ampicilin so that is absolutely not possible...

I will update if we figure something out..Irie is one happy and very active swine once called by vet as restless..man thats what keeps him going to be this very smart, little crazy, very active, dominant and unwilling to change type of pig, even at 7,5.:)

Lisa12

Post   » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:20 am

I wrote this too fast, excuse me for mistakes:
*chloramphenicol
*Azithromycin

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:38 am

On the dangerous medications page, I have a link to this comprehensive page on rabbits and antibiotics. Fosfomicyn doesn't show up there, unfortunately:

https://rabbit.org/care/antibiotics/

I tried to find out what family of drugs it was in and at least discovered it is in its own class (not associated with these "...mycin" antibiotics which are on the dangerous meds list):
https://www.guinealynx.info/dangerous_medications.html
  • clindamycin
  • dihydrostreptomycin
  • erythromycin
  • lincomycin
  • streptomycin
Merck's veterinary manual says:
https://www.merckmanuals.com/profession ... fosfomycin
Fosfomycin is a novel class of antibacterial drugs with a chemical structure unrelated to other known antibiotics. It is a bactericidal drug that disrupts cell wall synthesis by inhibiting phosphoenolpyruvate synthetase and thus interferes with the production of peptidoglycan.

In the US, it is available only as a powder formulation of fosfomycin tromethamine, which can be dissolved in liquid and taken orally. Outside the US, IV formulations are available.
Fosfomycin has a broad spectrum of activity against both gram-positive and gram-negative organisms, including many antibiotic-resistant organisms...
There is much more info on the linked page, a lot of it related to its use in humans. No apparent red flags for ruminants but that does not necessarily clear its use in them.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:42 am

I see several research articles about the use of fosfomycin in guinea pigs to treat other things, and none of them mention any toxicity to the guinea pigs from it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:25 pm

That is encouraging!

Lisa12

Post   » Sat May 06, 2023 2:11 am

HEre we go again..it seems we re another ones in world of guinea pigs and bacterial infections that vets cant treat properly.

Bactrim didnt work..at all..i am sorry we even started it. Irie had UTI twice in his life(one at age 6,5 and the other now at age 7,5) and Bactrim as most suitable AB didnt work both times..so i think we re done with it for life. We are.

But the first time Marbocyl did work, but second time around it didnt..and shilintong is not-very disapointed

And i had another visit to exotic vet it was full moon and it s always heavy, but Irie is our last pig(he stayed at home of course), so than i wont have to visit exotic vet-better for me, better for them-they can deal with people that come there just to clipp nails of their rabbits or something and than they are all so happy how successfully they are solving *problems*..every average let alone good pet owner should know how to do that themselves)
My pigs only ever came to vet with serious problems, but thats another story..thats how succesfully vets are and not by clipping nails or whatever.

Anyway-we kind of talked with vet and if you think logically doxy, fosfomicin or chloramphenicol, would be such risk for Irie..i think too much. But Flagyl and Azithromycin would only work if bacteria is sensitive to it..some vet said defenetly not, but he also said bactrim would-so you cant rely on thoose oppinions.

We re taking a break from AB. Irie lost some weight, feeling fairly good, tough. We got Azithromicyn but we dont know yet if we will try it and when. We also bought rodi care uro supply. I am running out of money so i better work more. I will, even today.

I am thinking of going to our dog-cat vets to try another culture with free catch, but i am tired of beggin them for everything even tough we know each other well..and they helped our legendary Bob, Ringo and ZIggy and they always were go getters just like we are.