Pigjes' Pigs Piggadice part Pee ... oops, Three!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:33 am

I hope you can get a Binky on the mend. He’s a sweetheart.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:29 am

Thanks everyone! His Chinese herbs should arrive today, they are a day late. They are called Cush-Shin.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:38 pm

Keep us posted. Binky's got a special place in my heart.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:58 pm

Mine too!

I actually think he has a special place in all our hearts.

A most remarkable (and well-loved) guinea pig!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:41 am

Thanks both!

The meds are now postponed till Tuesday, sigh. They could have walked 5 times back and forth on foot till then, as The Netherlands are our neighbors.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:36 am

Update: after the first day of the herbs, I noticed that his skin color was remarkably better. I can only judge the pink part of his skin, but the difference was huge. Lately, his pink skin had a sorta red-purple tone to it on some parts and very pale on other parts.

The herbs are in pill form, very hard to crush and turn into powder very had to dissolve. The first 14 days, he needs to get a double dosage, so that's 8 cc / 8 ml per day. Instead of giving 4 ml in one go twice a day, I tried 1 ml first, waited for half an hour, then gave 1 ml more, waited a few hours, etc, so I spread it out during the day. I figured this would be less of a shock to his system, due to his heart issues.

He noticed that these meds were different from the rest. You could see the wheels in his brain turn the first time he was administered. He paused for a sec or 2, looked at me, I reassured this would help, and he decided to go for it a bit reluctantly. I had been telling him several times a day that he would get extra meds, since we visited the vet, he's not dumb, lol. I kept repeating that the vet would give extra meds soon to make him better, all words I know he understands. Not joking. I tasted it, it tasted like wallpaper glue, meaning bland. Don't even ask how I know how that tastes like, in my defense, I was 2 years old, rofl. He was not enthused to get more of it, but he's a good boy and just let it happen.

On day 2, he was very eager to get the herbs. This means it did something positive for him, as he's eager to get his other meds and supplements as well. Amazingly, his drinking returned to normal. His distended belly, which is also a sign of Cushing's, was gone. This was kinda scary to look at, as now you can see how much weight he lost.

Will keep you updated.

So, these herbs seem to have effect so far. His weight was 675g before we started, let's wait and see how that progresses. I manage to make a 3 ml solution now, which is hard to do, and give him 3 potions a day.

Weird fact: since Cushing's makes him eat so much more, he started eating hay. He likes it! Still think he has PTSD from hay, being attacked from other pigs inside it before he arrived here, but his chronic hunger made him get over it now that he's almost 6 years old and almost 4.5 years here.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:53 am

Glad he has decided taking it is for his own good. Hope you continue to see some improvement. Regrowth of hair would be big.

Would you like me to permanently add your medical related pics to your topic here in the Chronicles?

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:23 am

Yes, please. Cushing's is rare, it might help others.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:15 pm

Thanks! I added them above (swapped out for permanent images).

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:16 am

Update on Binky. The supplements make him drowsy, loss of appetite, dizzy. Although they obviously work, he had his last dosage this morning. We'd rather have a happy pig till his demise than this. He's very poorly at the moment.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:40 pm

Sorry to hear that. Sending you and Binky positive vibes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:40 pm

Sorry he is having these side effects. Will you try to dial down the dose and fine tune it to try to get benefits without so many side effects? Are these known side effects?

Three days ago you wrote, "The first 14 days, he needs to get a double dosage". What day did you officially start it?