Emergency-- meds and dosages for bloat

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:40 pm

A couple of years ago, my husband and I had a little dwarf hamster named Misha. My husband was absolutely in love with her. She would give him little kisses on his nose, and sat in his pocket. Pretty little white girl with a gray stripe down her back.

Anyway, one evening my husband told me that he thought we had mice again because he had heard something running around in the kitchen. We were having issues with mice at the time, and I was so scared one might get into the cage with Misha, that I unthinkingly put out a snap trap to catch it. That night, after I had gone to bed, my husband woke me up crying and absolutely beside himself. To our horror, Misha had somehow escaped from her cage, and the "mouse" running around had been her. She was killed in the trap.

It took a very long time before I could stop blaming myself and accept that sometimes things happen despite our very best, most loving intentions.

Sending more hugs to you, chii.

amy m guinea

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:18 pm

Chii, I'm glad you found the strength to come back. Other's stories let you know this could happen to anyone, we who care for our animals so very much. I'm glad to hear about your friend's planned ceremony, it's wonderful they realize how much Perriwig meant to you.

I'm sorry for anyone in this situation, it could happen to anyone, sadly.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:10 am

Chii, I'm so sorry this happened to you who are such a caring person. Unfortunately, we can't control every situation all the time. We can't anticipate everything.

Be well, heal and remember the other babies who still need you.

amy m guinea

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:11 am

I found the term in my notes "prey myopathy" as the prey goes down adrenalin is released and kills the prey before the predator does.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:43 am

Dr. Kamaka should name her protocol after Perriwig. I think it would be a fitting honor and if it does get posted here think of how many other lives may be saved because of it. I was waiting for it so I can give a copy to my vet and others should do the same.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:51 am

I am sorry for you too, Sef. Things like this make us feel terrible. I remember the garden lizard I felt I had made friends with and the neighbor cat that visited and killed it. I felt I should have anticipated this.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:29 pm

GP, I haven't received Dr. Kamaka's write-up yet, but I am not surprised as I specifically told her to please not feel any pressure to do it right away. I know she has much more important things to do every day in her practice. But I've no doubt in my mind that she will write it up and send it when she has time.

I, of course, have not told her what happened. When she does get in touch with me, I don't know how I'll tell her, but I guess I'll have to. I know she'll ask how he is. I can't lie to her and let her believe he died of something that was possibly related to the bloat. That's the only reason I told the people at my work what happened despite my strong urge to just say that he was gone and that I didn't want to talk about it. But I did NOT want them to think for one minute that what we did didn't save his life. It did. And it may save others.

I'm so sorry, Sef, for Misha. My heart breaks for you and your husband. But again, you didn't know. You thought you were protecting her. We only do the best we can. We are humans, after all, and not able to see the future.