Millie’s Medical

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:49 pm

I’m a little concerned about Millie. A few times over the past week or so I notice she has a nasal congestion sound when she breaths. At first I thought it was hay she snuffled up into her nose. The sound started today after she rooted around in her hay. I have orchard grass/timothy mix and she only likes the timothy, so even though I spread the hay out, she still has to nose it around.

Yesterday the noise started when she gobbled down a large lettuce leaf that had crinkly edges. She stuffed it down as fast as she could, then gave a cough, and the noise started. (She is a stress eater. She gulped her lettuce as she suffered through her morning routine of foot buttering with a paw salve to keep her feet healthy.)

The noise sometimes lasts for several hours, then just goes away. It seems to be nasal, in her sinuses and not in her lungs. She’s always kind of lazy so activity wise it’s hard to tell if she’s acting differently. She seems to be eating as usual.

Her weight has been consistent the whole time I’ve had her. She’s kind of a pudge at 2.3 lbs so I’m concerned about heart issues. She has an annual exam scheduled on the 17th.

She slept most of the evening. Now she got up and stuck her nose through the bars to taunt Ruby Sue. Shen Ruby Sue started grumbling, Millie laid down right where she was and started munching on hay. I don’t know what to think.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:01 pm

All I can say is I remember years ago, one of my guinea pigs ate green peppers too fast and would sometimes wheeze? for a while afterward. I always thought some of the food got in the way. The wheezing continued for varying amounts of time before it cleared.

I am sure you will watch this closely and see if you can come up with a definitive pattern - or offending food.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:51 am

That’s good to know. I’ll have to play detective some more. Tonight she’s been grazing for quite a while and the breathing noises have stopped.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:41 pm

Oh, it was Snowflake, I think.

And good to hear the worrisome noises have stopped. I got pretty used to Snowflake's noises and they were definitely tied to eating peppers.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:13 am

Millie’s nasal noises started again this morning. Lasted until early afternoon. She coughed a couple of times and it seemed to quit for a while. All day she was eating, pulling the apple sticks out of the cage bars, and gobbling up veggies.

She was snuffling through the orchard grass/timothy hay mix picking out what she likes. I’m not buying that again. Too much waste. Both pigs leave half of it so I’m throwing so much away.

I just think it’s this hay mix, and my Chewy order won’t be here until Tuesday so I may have to pick up some Full Cheeks at Petsmart to tide me over. The local stores don’t sell enough Oxbow so what they have looks faded and washed out like it’s been sitting on the shelf for a long time.

I got a video of her breathing and the noise she makes so I’ll take that with to her vet appointment.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:39 pm

It would be great if you could positively tie it to the hay - and not see the issue again once you've made your changes!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:07 am

She was fine again today. I’ve been cutting the hay into shorter pieces so she doesn’t burrow into it. I don’t know if that makes a difference or not.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:39 pm

Millie’s nasal noise was going on again this morning. Her annual checkup was today so I brought the video along of her breathing. Millie wasn’t making any sounds at the vet, and her heart and lungs sounded good and temp was normal. But after viewing the video, the vet was concerned about respiratory issues and how easily pneumonia can develop. So she recommended Baytril (0.25 cc 2 times a day), sent along metocloramide and recommended a probiotic as well. We live about 45 miles away, through a lot of road construction. I think she didn’t want to send us home, have the issue get worse, and then struggle to get back to the clinic for meds.

Otherwise Millie’s weight is the same as last year and her feet are much healthier. Now I’m just hoping we don’t have any adverse reactions to the Baytril.

And yesterday we took our dog Charlie in to his vet for lameness in a back leg. He’s in a lot of pain. He got a shot of Librela but so far we’re not seeing any improvement. Ruby Sue is the only one in the family without a prescription for something.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:54 pm

At least you are a very experienced medical pet caretaker and know what to look out for! I am sure the vet trusts you to recognize any issues.

Hoping Ruby Sue keeps her healthy status!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:29 am

I’ll have to keep a close eye on her for reactions to the Baytril. When I had Lacey she was prescribed Baytril and quit eating after about 3 days. It made her really sick. I was kind of surprised the vet said it was okay to start the metoclopramide right away and she said it could be given with the Baytril.

Millie’s been busy dragging her hidey around. She managed to pull it over her pellet cup so she’s sneaking snacks and no one can see how much she’s eating.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:03 pm

Since they are housed separately, I imagine you could also weigh the pellets to see how much she eats (though just weighing her to make sure she's maintaining her weight may be enough).

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:48 pm

Her weight hasn’t fluctuated more than a tenth of a pound since I got her - roughly 2.25 to 2.35 pounds. She weighed exactly the same at the vet this year as last. Hopefully that continues.

Now that I built 2 grid cages and assembled 3 shelving units in the last couple weeks, I want to make a change. Two grids deep is a little too far for me to reach. I’m thinking of pulling the side grids apart and overlapping them so the sides are 24” instead of 28”. Then the chenille bath mats will fit better as well.

Just can’t leave well enough alone, I guess.