Tommy's Tooth Troubles

piggyJames

Post   » Tue May 14, 2024 10:17 am

Hi everyone,

I have a male piggy who had gradually stopped eating, had went through a few tooth trims for overgrown teeth, but still appeared to fight to eat on his own (basically, not able to eat at all). I've since been syringe feeding him to keep his weight up as it had begun to decline dramatically.

An x-ray showed the teeth looked ok following the trims, but the diagnosis also showed elongated upper molar roots. I know this is not a great diagnosis at all, but since that have obtained a chin-sling and am experimenting with fitting it after another tooth trim (scheduled tomorrow). He is on the normal pain meds etc.

Are there any other therapeutic measures anyone is aware of? For syringe feeding, I'm giving primarily Emeraid and/or Critical Care, but is there some way of getting something with more "grit" in via syringe that would help with molar wear?

Suggestions very welcome!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 14, 2024 12:53 pm

Our vote would be for Critical Care over Emeraid.

For the chin sling, your best bet is definitely to communicate with the person who designed it (and presumably sold it to you).

For adding "grit", I am going to guess chopping some grass, adding it to the Critical Care, and using a syringe that has the restrictive tip cut off so there is nothing blocking the syringe from pushing all the food out.
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

You might also try soaking ha strands and chopping them up. I have never tried either of these techniques (been a long time since I had to hand feed a guinea pig) but they might help.

I imagine you have read all the teeth pages which include various tips and conditions:
https://www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html

When you say he is on "normal pain meds", which pain med do you mean? Pain meds should help - I imagine the elongation of the roots adds more pain as pressure is applied while chewing. If you are not doing so, making a small pasty ball or two of Critical Care and having that available to eat might also help.

piggyJames

Post   » Tue May 14, 2024 1:20 pm

thanks so much for the reply and the suggestions. I've been through exhaustive searches of the forums about root treatment, believe me :) Some quick responses.

I purchased the chin-sling from a Canadian rehab equipment company. I assume/hope that they have appropriate licenses to sell the product.

Pain meds are metacam and a bit of buprenorphine 2x/day.

I do have CC regular, fine-grind, and Emeraid, and have tried combos of all three. The reason I've primarily settled on Emeraid was it was easier to get Tommy's maintenance calories in when he was being difficult (30g/1kg Emeraid versus 45g/1kg).

Thanks so much for the added "grit" suggestion. I will definitely try that!

Cheers

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 14, 2024 3:08 pm

An original member of Guinea Lynx actually designed and patented the chin sling. She is Canadian.
https://www.guinealynx.info/chinsling.html

I don't believe she's posted here for a while but I think still sells the chin slings and patterns, along with providing invaluable advice on their use.

I hope it helps your guinea pig!

piggyJames

Post   » Tue May 14, 2024 3:15 pm

I read a lot of her posts on here regarding overgrown molar treatment and protocols (via chin sling) and very much in her debt. The R&D log was especially fascinating.

Thanks for the well wishes. It's heartbreaking to see this little guy struggle to eat when everything just keeps falling out. We're doing our best to give him a fighting chance.