Guinea Pig Tumor

EthanWillis

Post   » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:36 am

So my guinea pig Jazzy who is 8 years old apparently has a tumor in her mammary gland and it’s getting bigger extremely fast. The vet said she is too old for surgery and she might have a week at best. She gave me the option of putting her down but since she’s still eating, drinking, and seems overall happy I decided to just wait it out. I’m so heartbroken I don’t understand how the tumor just suddenly appeared there and got big so fast. Is this normal? Did she live a long life ? :(

3littleGuineas

Post   » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:10 am

I'm so sorry to hear this, EthanWillis. That is incredibly hard news to bear.

8 is a very lovely old age for a guinea pig! I can only hope mine reach that age. Guinea pigs are also quite susceptible to tumours or cysts, little creatures, they like to keep us on our toes! I don't have any direct experience but from what I've read, tumours can grow very fast, especially in little bodies.

I'm really devastated for you, you must be so heartbroken. I would have chosen the same, if she's happy and normal acting then home to comfort it is. It's if she starts being in pain that the difficult decision should be made.

Did the vet suggest anything else to keep her comfortable? I wonder if others on the forum have experience they can share.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:11 am

My Jessie lived to 8 years old and whilst that was a good long life as a owner it is never long enough! Guinea pigs are prey animals and hide their illnesses very well. What about a biopsy? Or has Jazz had one? Here is a link for you https://www.guinealynx.info/lumps.html Most mammary tumours are not cancerous but can form into abscesses or they can burst.

You may wish a 2nd opinion. Weigh Jazz regularly and keep watching she is eating. If there is no hope for Jazz make memories, loads of cuddles and take pictures.

I recently lost Jewel age 7 then 3 weeks later Jay age 5 and I wish I had made more memories with them. They helped me through tough times and I feel I failed them.

Sorry got of track, I have never had tumours in my piggies, someone on here should be able to help you. Wishing you and Jazz all the best! Sorry not much help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:06 am

I do not know how large it is but most mammary tumors end up being benign (not cancerous - as daisymay says) and surgical removal is successful. I imagine it is also possible it has abscessed. Look at this page and note the images:
https://www.guinealynx.info/tumor_mammary.html

A second opinion may help. If this vet has good, proven surgical skills, perhaps he/she can be persuaded to remove it surgically.

How big is it? Did the vet remove a sample of the fluid? Or do a biopsy to see if it is a tumor or infection?

If you have a good clear picture of it, you can send me an image to post:

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:51 pm

I'd want another opinion. Mammary surgery isn't generally a hard thing for a guinea pig unless the tumor has penetrated surrounding tissues, and it might be entirely possible for her to have the surgery and live for quite a while longer.

EthanWillis

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:12 pm

Unfortunately the vet found out it was cancerous in this case and it had most likely spread. About 11 days after finding that out the tumor abscessed and became bloody and infected so we made the decision to put her to sleep today. It’s so hard but I had an amazing 8 years with her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:15 pm

I am so sorry you lost her, EthanWillis. It sounds like you did indeed have a long and wonderful 8 years with her.

EthanWillis

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:18 pm

Thank you. I’m so happy she was able to go peacefully and I believe I’ll see her again someday.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

So sorry for your lost. Jazzy will always be with you and she left you with so many wonderful memories. RIP wee one. Run free in perfect health and munch on the lush green grass. Sending big hugs your way.!