Introducing Gabe to my new girls

RubySimon

Post   » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:37 am

So, now that Gabe is neutered and "safe" to live with girls, I was thinking of putting everyone in together. It would allow me to make a larger area for the three of them. He can be a bit of a pill though. I am reading about bonding, and have the basics down pat, but wondered if anyone has had success putting two females with one male? Obviously, if it does not go well, I will not force it, but just would love to have everyone have a bigger space. My intact, older boar will stay in his own space.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:25 pm

Refresh my mind - so your intact older boar doesn't get along with the neutered boar?

I am pretty sure introducing a neutered male to two females can be done. The particular personalities will interact in different ways so exactly how it will go is unknown. Also, guinea pigs change over time.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:58 pm

It should work OK, although introducing a pair to a singleton can take a little longer than introducing two singletons.

You are aware, I hope, that you have to wait four weeks after the neuter before putting him with the females.

RubySimon

Post   » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:44 am

Lynx- they get along fairly well, but Gabe can be a little pushy, and Luke is VERY laid back, so I do worry about him getting pushed around. The girls are no shrinking violets, I believe they can hold their own with Gabe. They are all closer in age than Gabe is to Luke. So, I thought that they would have more of the same energy level. Luke is content to just relax a lot of the time in his pen. Floor time is different, he motors around a lot. But he likes to watch the world from his fleece forest.

bpatters-yes, he was neutered 6-7 weeks ago. So, we are definitely safe at this point.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:57 pm

When you say the girls are "no shrinking violets," just know that some miffed girls will spray pee on troublesome males!

RubySimon

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:30 pm

Oh boy! I will say I did not know THAT!

Still thinking, this one through, but it would be really nice if it worked out…

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:36 pm

At least now you will have an answer in case your fella starts to smella.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:06 am

Does that pee spray technique work in other species as well? Asking for a friend.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:41 am

I dare not answer....
:-)

RubySimon

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:31 am

HA!

But, I do know that in the goat world, bucks pee on each other heads.............

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:08 pm

Oh, goats; how manly!

p.s. chickens can't pee (everything comes out from one place - everything, everywhere, all at once!) but I bet if they could pee on another chicken, they sure as heck would!