Oxbow young guinea pig food

RubySimon

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:35 am

Somehow I ended up with a bag of their young pig food. I think it was what the shelter gave me when I was fostering Ivy and Fern. Why, I have no idea, but they don't seem to know a whole lot about the smaller critters. Can I feed it mixed with adult food to my 3 younger pigs, one is 11 mos, one is 2 years old and one is 1.5 years old? I feed something else to Luke my old boy. Unfortunately, I opened it not realizing what it was so now I cannot donate it and I don't know anyone with little ones to give it to. If I can't use it, I will ask my vet's office if they can give it to a client or something, but I bet they can't. Drat.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:51 am

Keep in mind dates and freshness, important for vitamin C.

The primary dietary issue for this product is that it provides more calcium for growing bones - also helps pregnant or recently pregnant guinea pigs too.

While a diet higher in calcium will not cause stones, in guinea pigs that are genetically predisposed to stones, it may cause problems.

You might want to monitor urinary excretions for powdery calcium or gritty calcium deposits if you decide to give your other pigs this product. Fresh foods like romaine can also cause/contribute to powdery calcium deposits. These deposits show up readily on non-white cloth/fleece bedding.

RubySimon

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:27 am

I opened a brand new bag of food, fed it this morning and then realized it was for young guinea pigs. So aggravating. I may try to just mix in a tiny bit each day and then when it gets too close to the expiration date, I will toss the rest. Such a shame I didn't notice it sooner. I am sure a rescue or shelter could have used it. I compared the nutritional breakdown and there are some differences but I was hoping that if I didn't just change them over to it completely, I could just use it sparingly.

I didn't come from a family with a ton of money, so I just hate wasting food. People or animal!

Thanks, Lynx.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:06 pm

Oh, I TOTALLY understand not wasting money! I was just having a conversation with a neighbor yesterday and recall saying I kind of live poor (and this is how you save money). I was the oldest of 10 kids and I learned early how to live a careful life. I have always figured that not knowing the future, I want to be able to move into poverty if needed. I am VERY economical. It has paid off (in retirement). I will be economical until I take my last breath. I hate wasting things. Am salvaging a neighbor's fence to be able to reuse the materials (lots of work). He will be replacing it, materials would have gone to the landfill.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:56 am

I hear you, Lynx. Always trying to repurpose something instead of tossing it out. We thrift shop, and joke tha pt most everything we have was previously owned, including our pets.

RubySimon, I bought a bag of young pig food for Gidget when I first got her. She was so tiny I figured she needed extra nutrition. I did ask an exotic vet how much I could give once she was past about 8 months. The vet said once a week would be okay, so I would add a sprinkle of young pellets to 2 tablespoons of regular food. It took forever but I managed to use it up.

Also, for freshness, I put some in a small fruit jar, then sealed the rest in the bag and put it in the refrigerator.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:55 am

I use to finish my young piggy food by adding to bowl quarter young piggy food to 3 quarters adult piggy food. If expired I would add water let it sit and use in my compost bin. Good luck.

RubySimon

Post   » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:33 am

Good ideas, thanks. I probably won't use all of it, but at least using some will sit better with me than tossing it all out.