Biting

RubySimon

Post   » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:08 pm

Any hints on dealing with a biter? Got two new foster girls. One has a tendency to use her teeth when getting impatient. She drew blood on my husband yesterday.

She is really not mean, they have just bounced around a lot.

There was an adopter, but she backed out with my last update on the biting. Can’t blame her, the pigs were for her 14 year old.

So, would love to hear some hints on working with her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:10 pm

Here are some links to articles about biting pigs:
https://www.guinealynx.info/links.html#biting

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:21 pm

Those are some good articles on biting. Millie is a nipper at times. She has an issue with the whisk broom and spot cleaning. She starts whining, darts out and bites the broom, then runs and hides. She hates blankets being moved or fluffed and will dart out and bite the blanket. She also hates being wrapped in a blanket. She bites the blanket, whines and fidgets.

And she stress eats. If I’m cleaning the cage, she races around and starts eating hay like crazy or drinking water while she whines.

Sometimes I can distract her with veggies and have her do her circle trick. Sometimes I just pick her up and hold her, which isn’t her favorite but it stops the biting.

The one article mentions isolation making them more sensitive. I think that was the case here. She was owned by a teenager and kept in the bedroom. So I’m sure it was quiet all day, then the teen was home at night. Millie is more stressed at night so this behavior escalates.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:00 am

How old are your fosters? I find that young pigs are more apt to try out their teeth when upset.

RubySimon

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:13 am

Hi All,
Thanks. Somehow, I missed those articles.

The bitey one is1.5 years, the other is 10 mos. They are darling otherwise. She only bites, it seems right now, when she is getting tired of being held a certain way, which is kind of how I have to do it sometimes. Nail clipping will be a joy. Ugh.

Going to read the articles. Thanks again.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:39 am

All my pigs are biters especially at nail clipping time. Jewel is the worse. I think if anything gets near the mouth piggies think it is fair game. Jewel has a favourite foot, I have to count all fingers when I do that one-top right. Good luck!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:23 am

You can't always find everything but there is an index page that has a "Biting" entry that will get you there:
https://www.guinealynx.info/main.html

But welcome to post. Every pig is different and people may find new ways to deal with them.

I was only bitten two times that I can recall. One of them was walking around, holding Nina, looking for the nail clipper. It was as though she could read my mind and also just hated being clipped!

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:07 am

I had one adopted bitey pig that took a few months to realize I wasn't going to hurt her and stopped biting. She never drew blood, but teeth were her first response when she was annoyed for a bit. I actually contacted the shelter to see if they had had problems (prior foster said Yes!). I don't recall what I did, other than keep bare skin away from her mouth.

boipigs

Post   » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:43 am

I would encourage a vet visit if they haven't had one, in case they are biting from pain! I had a foster (now adopted by me) that was a vicious little biter. He was horrible! He couldn't really be touched or picked up without him diving for your hands. The rescue figured it was behavioral, since he was probably 6 months or so when they got him. I took him to the vet after I adopted him and turns out he has arthritis from a past broken leg. Now he's on meloxicam and his behavior is much better.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:32 am

Good point, boipigs. I think some dogs bite because they are in pain too, and have no tolerance when something you do unintentionally hurts them.