Wilber and Grady

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:25 am

Grass is always greener and juicier on the other side! Maybe if he does the piggy eyes maybe treats will be shared? Cheeky boy!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:11 am

Happy birthday boys!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:10 pm

Happy Birthday to the 1-year-olds!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:15 am

Grady is going through what I call only describe as a hormone burst. Yesterday he took to chasing Wilber and mounting him. I put Grady in the tote for a few minutes hoping he would settle down, but that didn't help. So since the weather was nice enough, I put them outside in the hopes that the fresh air, sunshine and grass would help. No dice. Since I moved, I didn't have a way to give them floor time safely and in a way that protects the floor from their messes, and them from the dogs and cats,, so I went to the store to get an area rug and a small tarp to go under it. I can put them down in my room and close the door to keep them safe.

Grady was pretty calm when I was leaving so I left them together. When I returned, he was calm, but upon picking up Wilber, I found out why. He had expended his sexual frustration all over Wilber's backside. GROSS! It took a lot of cleaning to get that out of his fur because he's got that long Peruvian hair back there. I also had to trim a tiny bit of it out. Of course he didn't like that at all. This is the exact same thing that happened when I first got them. Grady chased Wilber around until he got his way with him and then they got along great until this repeat episode almost a year later. None of my other board have ever done this. There's some minor mounting between them once in a great while, but it's very quick and there's never a mess like the one that Grady leaves on poor little Wilber.

They're getting along normally now. So it looks like this might be a periodic occurrence until they get through the hormonal stage. That usually happens around 2 years of age.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 3:24 am

Wilber and Grady in the tote waiting to go back into their freshly cleaned cage. They're both very high strung and don't sit facing each other for very long without ending up chasing each other around; in a playful manner of course. It's lucky I got them to be still long enough to get the photo. Wilber sits still while I hold him. He enjoys being petted, but will jump out of my hands when I go to put him down if I'm not careful. Grady, on the other hand is very squirrelly and hard to handle. He's not trying to get away or anything like that. He's just so curious that he wants to sniff, lick or nibble my hands, arms, shirt, face and everything he can get to. He is a jumper too. If he sees his open cage, he jumps for it no matter how close or far he is from it. I have to turn where he can't see it until I'm ready to put him inside.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 3:45 am

Another pair of sweeties. I am always putting my girls in backwards. They are really silly! Love their colours! They look like they are doing some serious thinking!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun May 07, 2023 12:23 am

Check out Grady wanting out of the tote and back into his freshly clean cage. Wilber is already there. He actually jumps into my hand from the tote. He really hates going in there but he gets very excited when it's time to get out.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun May 07, 2023 2:05 am

I hope I don't have to go through all that with Jack, Jock and Justine. So far the runt at birth Jack is the boss trying to show the others who's boss.

So glad they have more room to stretch their little legs and that Grady got it out of his system! Also glad Wilber didn't hold a grudge against him!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun May 07, 2023 4:08 am

He still chases Wilber around the cage, but he's not trying to mount him. It usually starts with Wilber wanting to groom him. Grady gets very excited and popcorns. That makes Wilber run and Grady winds up chasing him. It's play 99.9% of the time. The other.1% ends with Wilber clicking his teeth and Grady backing off. Those two have a very unique partnership. I'm watching them closely and still haven't ruled out separating them. Although unlikely, it's a possibility if it gets bad.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue May 09, 2023 9:45 am

He is such a cutie!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:50 am

The rearranging of the cages following the loss of Buttercup landed Wilber and Grady on top of Kahlua and Jack and on the other wall. They are no longer butted against Gilligan and Skipper. The closest cage that they can see is Val and Earl and it's about 2 feet away. Val and Earl spend most of their time on the opposite side of their cage from Wilber and Grady because they love to play with Skipper over there. I bet y'all are wondering why I'm posting about this.

Well the answer is because since they are further away from the others, the riff raff chasing of Wilber has all but stopped. I'm ok with them chasing each other in play, but it's a bit stressful on Wilber when he doesn't want to play. You can tell when that is because he clicks his teeth. I really don't like him getting upset and stressed out like that.

If I had known this move away from the others is what it would take to stop it, I would have done it sooner. The move was 2 days ago and thus far, there has been no downside. All of the pigs have benefited from their new location. The only ones who are in the same location are Kahlua and Jack. They're in a bigger cage, but in the same spot. That suits them just fine.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:32 pm

Sometimes it takes guesses and changes and observations to get the right formula. Glad Wilber has it easier now.