Hidey Ideas?

Annapox

Post   » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:26 am

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Lynx; when I was writing my reply I forgot that you had said your piggies had a room instead of a cage. If you included a photo in your most recent reply, it's not showing up on my screen, but that's okay. I'm pretty sure I know what you and bpatters are talking about. I'll keep it in mind in case I ever need to build a new cage. The one I have right now has the plastic walls about two inches beyond the grids so that Penny can't get to them. The grids sit directly on the fleece bedding.

Regarding safe and unsafe types of wood, I did some searching yesterday, and one source said that kiln-dried pine was fine but air-dried pine was not, and that soft, resinous, or aromatic wood (air-dried pine was listed as an example) was generally considered unsafe. (Walnut wasn't in the list of unsafe examples or the list of safe examples.) It didn't go into why, and I don't know how reliable a source it is. Can anyone recommend a source of information on what types of wood are safe for guinea pigs? Just in case I decide to buy some wood to make a little piggy house. I still can't use the scrap wood since we don't know what kind of wood it is.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:59 pm

I included a link to a page showing how I set things up. Link again:
https://www.guinealynx.info/my-pigs.html

Good luck getting the guinea pigs to quit chewing on the plastic!
Usually pine boards are not particularly aromatic. Oh, cedar boards might be. It is when one uses pine bedding and it is "shredded" that there may or may not be a problem with pine. Generally not boards.

Annapox

Post   » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:37 pm

Yeah, I saw the link, but enough time elapsed between when I read through the posts and clicked the links, and when I wrote my response, that I just forgot.