Peanut

daj

Post   » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:38 am

Peanut has a large tumor in his bladder. Apparently there is one other option, which is meds to try to shrink it. So, he will be on Metacam, Cipro and Cerenia. The vet says she has seen good results with dogs on this combination, for their anti-cancer effects. I didn't mention it to the vet, but I will also keep him on the herbs. I haven't been using cranberry, but will start. I suppose I feel like there isn't much to loose at this point. He may only have a short time left. I consider surgery to be out of the question, especially if it may be cancerous. Plus, it would cost 2K, and I am not in a position to do it.

On a related note, the vet said the average life expectancy for pigs used to be about 8, but it's now about 5. I did't question this, since my focus was on Peanut, but I wonder what others thoughts on this are?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:23 pm

None of those drugs are going to shrink the tumor, IMO. Cipro is a potent antibiotic, often used for bone infections but also for other things. Cerenia controls nausea and possibly pain, and Metacam is an NSAID used to treat arthritis. It can be used for pain caused by inflammation.

I think your vet is all wet on her predictions about life expectancy. I'd say it's more likely the other way around.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:35 am

Oh, no:(

Pig is about 3? Well probably if he was mine i would put him through surgery if you plan to eutanize him anyway, cause even if he doesnt make it through the surgery or recovery whats the difference.. I was always pushing vets hard to the limits, we only had the best we could and i didnt have to euthanize anyone of our animals-we had a lot of luck, too. I am so grateful..I mean..just my opinnion, but if i were you i would choose the best vet available(even if it means couple of hours of drive) and get some sponsor(friend, relative-i borrowed once money from my mum and once from my grandma for animals, but now i work a lot so i ve got enough). If we can get money for cars and all we can get money for pigs..
Just my oppinion..

Fingers crossed for Peanut for best possible outcome..

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:55 am

I'm sorry to hear that Peanut has a tumor. I wonder if it would be worth exploring Prednisone with your vet. Maybe someone here can chime in on whether or not it might help shrink it (that said, if I remember correctly, NSAIDs and steroids don't mix). I think if it were me, though, I'd want a second opinion just to make sure no other viable options have been overlooked.

daj

Post   » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:08 pm

I appreciate these opinions. I have to leave him for 5 days starting Tuesday. My sister will be caring for him. After one dose of the Cipro he totally stopped eating again, so I am not continuing it. The vet said she had seen this combination of drugs get a dog 2 1/2 extra years in the case of a tumor. But, I am totally open to the possibility of her advice being useless. When I get back I will look into another vet and Prednisone. He was lively and eating great yesterday before the dose of Cipro.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:21 pm

You are right, Sef, regarding steroids and NSAIDs. Choose one or the other but not both at once. I was given that advice by our vet regarding one of our dogs who had allergies and a back problem. The steroid is also anti-inflammatory, so it addresses the pain as well, and that’s what we used.

daj

Post   » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:08 pm

A new exotics vet looked at Penut's imaging. So, I will be switching him from the Metacam he is currently on, to Peroxicam. This vet said Peroxicam can 'freeze' or halt any further development of the tumor. Does anyone have any familiarity with this medication?

As for his condition, he now seems like he doesn't even have a tumor. I haven't seen any blood for a couple days, he has a voracious appetite, and he stands up on two legs when the food is coming. In addition to the Metacam he is getting his wet hay mixture to which I am adding shilintong, cranberry and half a curcumin/tumeric tablet. Based on how he is now I'm a little tempted to keep things as they are.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:55 pm

I was completely unfamiliar with that drug. Here's a rundown of how it is used by veterinarians:
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/piroxicam
What is piroxicam?
Piroxicam (brand name: Feldene®) is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) and an anti-tumor medication used primarily to treat bladder transitional cell carcinoma, as well as other cancers, such as squamous cell carcinoma, mammary adenocarcinoma, inflammatory mammary carcinoma, and transmissible venereal tumors. It can also be used to treat degenerative joint disease, but safer alternative NSAIDs are available.

In rabbits, it has been used to treat fractures associated limb swelling.
It sounds like it can be helpful for a variety of conditions. If you choose to use it, I would carefully monitor for pain just to make sure this drug is not as effective in controlling pain.
www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

Much more info here. I believe also used in humans and this page summarizes the side effects for humans and veterinary uses.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/ve ... /piroxicam

daj

Post   » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:52 am

Wow. Thanks so much for looking into this. It looks like this vet knows a lot more about treating a tumor of the bladder, but also that this drug comes with a lot of concerns. It should arrive in about 5 days. Now I am not feeling so optimistic about it. Peanut seems to have finally bounced back from what he went through as a result of treatment with the wrong medications.

I would hate to introduce other drug side effects at this point and possibly make him miserable again and in pain. Right now I feel like my inclination would be to keep this drug on hand in case I see obvious reason to begin using it. Maybe this is wrong though. Maybe the fact that he has the tumor is obvious reason to start him on this med. Although, right now, you'd never know he had a tumor. There is no sign of any pain and no blood. I would love to believe the herbs are at least part of the reason he seems so good, but who knows. I wonder what others might do in this case?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:07 pm

Keep in mind that sometimes the side effects are present in only a fraction of cases (rare). I cannot tell you what to do (do not have a medical background) but encourage you to read up on this drug, continue monitoring (as you are doing), and bring questions to your vet. If you choose not to use it, discuss this with your vet first.

Herbs are generally not studied well and do not have scientific/medical studies to evaluate them. More like "uneducated opinion". Without scientific studies, one does not really have any evidence they will help and how they will help.

daj

Post   » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:11 pm

I received the med in the mail but have not started him on it. I don't know what the status of the tumor is, but Peanut shows no sign of any distress, no pain, no visible blood, a raging appetite and normal energy level. I will continue with what I am doing until I see reason to change.

On another note, I am wondering if RTI can be diagnosed by urinalysis? This is for another pig, but the search function isn't workig for me, so I can't locate his thread.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:24 pm

The search table was corrupted. I believe I can rebuild it but have other things I have to do right now.

If you are looking for one of your own posts, you can search by forum, your name, and the medical forum. What you are looking for may show up that way.