Losing weight

rulerofelves

Post   » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:08 pm

Hi, it's been a while since I updated this but we have been in limbo trying to find another vet since she hasn't seemed to really recover, she still has the bald patches and is having trouble keeping up her weight (she gets about 10ccs of critical care per day to keep it steady, otherwise it continues the slow decline). She was able to get a health check at the guinea pig rescue near us and they said she most likely has ovarian cysts. We can see a vet to confirm it in a few weeks, and they said they would probably give her a hormone injection called Cystorelin.

Does this seem typical for treating cysts? I've found mixed information about hormone injections online, but it seems like the alternative is surgery and I wouldn't be eager to put her through that, either (she's 5 years old, so probably not as resilient as a younger pig).

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:41 pm

There are a couple of injectable hormones that can be used to treat ovarian cysts, and Cystorelin is one. They may or may not help, but are probably worth trying in a pig this age. It is a typical cyst treatment.

Tracy

Post   » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:54 pm

I had a 5-yr-old female who was diagnosed with cystic ovaries (via ultrasound) at age 5, after she had hair loss and crusty nipples. We tried cystorelin injections, which only work for one type of cyst but I thought worth a shot (pardon the pun) since I haven't found a vet for guinea pig spays whom I'm comfortable with. My piggy grew back her hair quickly and her nipples improved some. You can search medical posts for Zukina or Zuki to read her particulars. (Her thread turned into weight loss and calcium issues, but there's definitely info about her injections, including hair photos.)