And then there were two

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:17 pm

Popping in to give an update on the trio of boars I got from their previous owner about 5 years ago. Flame had been dealing with a thyroid tumor that we decided was not operable due to location and age. For more than a year I gave him meds 2x daily. Unfortunately he crossed the Rainbow Bridge last night. He was the most friendly of the three, so I guess time will tell if the others realize I'm nice or not. My ex was kind enough to allow us to bury Flame at his house (where Junior lives part time anyway). I'm not sure I'll get another pig - the other two get along reasonably well and I know that their age will probably catch up to them sooner than I'd like. And in just a few years Junior will be out of HS and probably off to college or something. But I will miss Flame. He was a great little boar.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:00 pm

I'm so sorry you lost Flame. Having a friendly guinea pig is so special. I don't think I would have described any of my guinea pigs as friendly (I learned to appreciate them for who they were).

I'm glad your two guinea pigs get along well. I hope one of them takes the roll of being the "friendly" guinea pig!

It was nice of your ex to let him be buried at him home.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:01 pm

I'm so sorry you've lost Flame. Sounds like he was a fine pig.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:22 pm

I'm sorry.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:58 pm

Aw, I'm sorry. Flame sounds like a great little guy. Next month marks the 2-year anniversary of my loss of Harold, who was one of those extra special guinea pigs. It hurts.

Take good care, okay?

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:50 pm

Reggie is still kind of friendly but his buddy is like Batty in Fern Gully - "Ah! A Human!" They are very very quiet right now. I think they are determining new normal. The pen looks so empty with one less house/pig in it.

We'll be OK. It wasn't entirely unexpected and I'm glad I noticed he was "off" so we could spend a little time with him and say good bye. He was just so tired, but he was a trooper to the end. They never live long enough. But I will say that if someone's pig has a neck tumor (not a cyst or abscess), see if you can determine thyroid function. Twice daily meds kept him going for more than a year and my pet sitter friend said her pig made it two years under similar circumstances. If at any point in that time I'd thought he was suffering I would have let him go, but he didn't seem to be in pain and was still exhibiting a good quality of life.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:19 am

My condolences on losing Flame. He had a good home with you - you give your pigs such good care. Take care of yourself.