Broken tooth and trapped food

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:35 am

So I went for the guinea pigs follow up yesterday. I mentioned tooth trimming to her and she said that's not something they would be able to do there and referred me to a specialty small animal dentist at another location. She did say The shard is obviously coming back as I had seen but it feels wiggly right now she said? Anyways I got in touch with a small animal dentist and they said I could come in next week for a consultation which would be $130 or consultation plus a CAT scan which would be about $250. I don't really know what the consultation would lead to. If I know for sure that he would only suggest surgery then I would just avoid that appointment altogether. I don't even know that I want to put him through a CAT scan. Any suggestions? I'm almost leaning towards just letting him live out his days comfortably and when things get uncomfortable put him down but I'm conflicted. I want to do what's best for him and not put him through needless that appointments where he is scared and cries the whole time but I also want to help him the best I can.

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:51 am

So I guess really the only thing that I would want done is to know if it's possible for this doctor to be able to trim it once in awhile. So I don't think there's necessarily a rush on that right? I could just wait and see if it's bothering him which it isn't right now. Oh boy these little guys are so tightly wrapped in our hearts every decision is stressful

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:33 pm

I would be tempted to look for another veterinarian, describing the situation and the dental care you are looking for. Rabbits can have this kind of issue too.

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:37 pm

Ugh I'm trying to post a video but it's not working. Our guinea pig just had a tooth extraction, one of his front top teeth. They said that it's normal for his nose to be bloody and his saliva too for the next couple of days. We have wiped away crusty blood from his nostrils three times in the nostrils are clear now, he has his mouth open so maybe he's doing some mouth breathing now as well. His hair isn't raised but it's hard to determine what's just a little bit stuffy and what's distress and would justify a trip to the ER since his regular doctor is closed now where he had the surgery. Any suggestions? Also I can't figure out how to post the video to show you all

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:13 pm

I am sorry you're having problems posting this. It is because there is a "replace" string g l / (no spaces) that inserts into your string.

I'm going to rewrite it with some dead italics tags to break the replace. Copy this to a url bar:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/62TtnRtPej3fj5XZ6

I don't know if what you are seeing is a deeper (chest) issue with breathing or the nasal passage clogged with a bit of thickened blood or something else (pain). I am guessing that pain is involved. He is getting pain medication?

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:40 pm

He did get pain medication, it's 11:30 Eastern standard Time here and we only picked him up at 4:30 and he is still coming out of the effects of anesthesia. We didn't hear back from the surgery doctor who we emailed again since it's after hours but we did in a state of panic because it's late and we are stressed bring him to the 24-hour vet clinic near us. They calmed our nerves a bit and said it is normal for him to have breathing that is not normal. It just sounds a little bit, crackly but not like a URI. They agreed with me that he didn't look that he was distressed. We had another piglet die from a URI years ago so I know what that looks like now. They sent us on our way and said if it gets worse come back tonight but otherwise to follow up with his doctor tomorrow. I got him home and all tucked into bed with the humidifier right over his cage and he seems to be coming out of the anesthetic a little bit more now, wiping his nose a little like normal. I think we were just stressed and it's late and our dog also had a procedure today where she was sedated so it just all came to a head tonight and we would rather be safe than sorry. Plus they didn't charge us for the bit of advice which is unheard of and really sweet! Thank you so much to this forum for always being there when we need you! At the very least has a listening ear but thank you so much for your advice. Hopefully at this point he'll be on the mend for sure! He is getting pain meds and we started on our own tomorrow morning along with an anti-inflammatory which should continue to help with any residual swelling.

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:45 pm

Oh I think that worked! I think I was able to share the video with you and he is a little bit better at this point, that was right before we brought him to the ER vet tonight

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:50 am

I totally understand your worry. Your hope with this procedure is that it helps him in the long run. The only other thing I can add is to make sure he is warm. I heat with wood so house temperature varies quite a bit. For recovery from any procedure, not requiring the body to use precious resources to keep itself warm helps a lot.

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:37 pm

That's great advice! We heat with wood and oil plus he is right next too the chimney so he is toasty and loving life! He ate a bit today so hoping we are on the upswing

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:13 pm

By the way, my house is very dry (it is tight and insulated but not much humidity is being generated). So make sure he is really well hydrated. Maybe syringe some water regularly or pedialyte. I try to make sure I get extra fluids in the winter.