Squeaks recovery after spay

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:54 pm

Here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html#shilintong

If you do a search of the forums, you may turn up more info and advice on purchasing and using the product.

alissarogers

Post   » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:34 pm

I will start her on that. Thank you

alissarogers

Post   » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:40 pm

Hi— I ordered the shilintong but was updated it is delayed so very disappointed but hoping it shows up today or tomorrow. The vet had suggested this antibiotic: teicoplanin. It is an injectable. Has anyone heard of it? I tired to search the forum but nothing came up. I think it is like vancomyacin. The vet had mentioned it can cause kidney damage. Squeak still has a good appetite but still has blood in her urine and squeaks when she goes potty. It is all very upsetting. I called many vitamin stores in China town about the Sholitong also and everyone was sold out. So I have to wait for the shipment to arrive.

alissarogers

Post   » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:23 pm

The shilintong came today. Already gave her 1cc. Will give another before bedtime tonight. I pray this helps.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:29 pm

I don't know anything about teicoplanin, but vancomycin is a very strong, very harsh antibiotic. I'd certainly want to know if it has ever been used in guinea pigs. I do see several things on the web that it's considered a dangerous antibiotic for GPs.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:40 pm

Glad to hear that the Shilintong arrived. I hope it helps.

I'm not familiar with Teicoplanin, and also cannot seem to find anything helpful online. However, I've seen Vancomycin mentioned several times on GL over the years, and as far as I know its safety and efficacy in guinea pigs and rabbits has not been established. I did find a few sources that specifically list Vancomycin as toxic in guinea pigs (one such source is Merck: https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exotic-a ... uinea-pigs; another is PetMD: https://www.petmd.com/exotic/conditions ... ntibiotics), but I believe that is in reference to oral administration vs. injectible.

I found a few references to the potential for renal toxicity with Teicoplanin in humans, and found a few studies that point to ototoxicity in guinea pigs with higher doses of that drug. I have not heard of ototoxicity being an issue with guinea pigs, so that was interesting.

I'd be very reluctant to use an unproven antibiotic with any of my guys.

alissarogers

Post   » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:41 pm

Thank you for all the information. I think I want to give the shilintong a try and really just take care of Squeak even if it means more hospice care and not curative. I don’t want to cause her more harm by a antibiotic that could cause her more problems.

The dose for the shilintong I saw on one section of the forum was to dissolve 1 tablet in 2CC water and give 1 CC twice a day. Does this sound accurate? Are there any side effects I should watch for? Or start on a smaller dowse and work her way up? Thank you

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:10 am

I have never run into any side effects or issues with using Shilintong, and I have used it with a couple of guinea pigs over the years and have used it myself for stubborn UTIs. I think 1 tablet sounds right for a piggy dose.

Hope it helps!

alissarogers

Post   » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:21 am

Thank you! Because she is still peeing blood and crying softly when peeing / pooping should I increase her meloxicam? She gets .1ml of a solution of 1.5 mg/ml per ML. Maybe I should increase it for a few days to twice a day to see if that helps too. Any thoughts? At least squeak likes the taste of the shilintong so that makes it easy to give to her. Also I did a search in glucosamine any experience with this and bladder issues in GP’s? Thanks for all your help.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:02 am

What is her current weight?

I've heard mixed reviews of glucosamine, but we have to be cautious the type used---if I'm remembering it correctly, most of these products are sourced from bovine or shark cartilage that could cause GI issues in piggys. Oxbow makes a product for joint support that is plant-based:
https://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/our-p ... nt-support
I feel like it's another one of those things that can't hurt and might just help. Perhaps ask your vet?

alissarogers

Post   » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:42 am

Hi
Her current weight is 1027 grams.

I emailed the vet about the glucosamine. Thank you for all your help.

alissarogers

Post   » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:53 am

Sad to share that Squeak’s health failed quickly and we could not allow her to suffer. One of the hardest things to do is make that decision. Squeak brought me and my family so much love and enjoyment. I can’t imagine waking tomorrow and she isn’t here. Thank you all for caring and loving Guinea pigs as much as I do.