Eye ulcer snd vet visit

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:19 pm

She needs to eat. And if all she'll eat is Critical Care, then feed it to her.

The rule of thumb is that a guinea pig that's eating nothing else needs 100 cc. of Critical care per day for every kilogram it weighs, divided into 6-8 servings. Adjust up or down according to the weight of the pig and how much it's eating.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:44 pm

on the contrary, i have to do weird things to get her to eat the smeared critical care lettuce cause she will just drop it and ignore if she smells it. i fold lettuce so her nose comes in contact with the lettuce smell first and immediately gobbles it up. she has started to adapt by ripping it off my hand which unfolds the lettuce and eat around the critical care. (i just refold into a fresh lettuce and profit lol)

she only eats her veggies. that is the only thing she is willing to eat. she may eat a small piece of hay but thats it. water i have to syringe feed her which she has no problem.

it is war feeding her critical care with a syringe so i been trying other ways to make her be the one to eat it and it has worked great in the beginning. she just outright ignores it so i feel i have no choice but to force feed it to her. my main issue is the style she ignores the syringe has me worried how it will affect the incision site

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:22 pm

These are the different syringes i have. i normally use the 4th syringe for critical care. i use the 2nd and 3rd for meds. (i don't mix and match syringes to different meds. these are just extra i had laying around unused)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:40 pm

Use the 1cc syringe as we mentioned before, and cut the tip completely off. This will be a lot more manageable than the larger syringe you have been using. You can also make it a little thicker so that it has more nutrients and fiber than if you are watering it down too much.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:01 pm

which one is the 1 cc? #2 or #3?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:06 pm

This is a 1 cc syringe, one regular, one with the tip off.

https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

p.s. can I add some of your pics permanently to your topic for future readers?

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:08 pm

sure, i don't mind

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:13 pm

It should say 1.0ml on the syringe.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:18 pm

Thanks, sozansound2, I added your poop pic. Quite interesting.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:01 pm

no problem.

just finished the critical care feeding. i tried the 1 cc like you guys suggested and it did work. i also did it with the big syringe in the end because it can hold more and i noticed after a bit of fighting, she started getting a bit tired so i took advantage of the big one. she stopped fighting with her usual intensity which made it easier. she took in a good amount as well.

i found another 1 cc syringe and cut the tip so i have 2 for next time.

one thing i did notice is she groomed herself to the best she could a few hours after coming back home from her operation. she has not groomed since then. i still feel some of her under chin hair semi sticky due too some dried up meds yesterday. with the critical care mess, i haven't seen her do so. i got water and dipped my finger to wash off all the critical care and dry meds at least.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:51 am

just finished giving her 3 cc of critical care. about how much cc of critical care should be given per session? did not want to give her more since she had just eaten some lettuce a bit before the session.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:20 am

See bpatters comment above, "The rule of thumb is that a guinea pig that's eating nothing else needs 100 cc. of Critical care per day for every kilogram it weighs, divided into 6-8 servings. Adjust up or down according to the weight of the pig and how much it's eating."

If she's only eating a small amount of veggies and no hay and no pellets, you will likely need to boost her intake by quite a bit in order to maintain (or increase) her weight. 3cc's is not a lot.