Eye ulcer snd vet visit

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:18 pm

Just gut wrenching when I hear it. Very low pitch but I am always next to her cage.

Operation food runs was a success atleast. Used her lunch and her pig hut so she would run chasing after them and had a good amount of exercise. Veggies soaked in water of course. I do syringe some water as well when I give her the meds for some extra water as well. She eventually got fed up after 15 min of chasing food that she started chirping at me. (Yes, she is part bird, part pig). Very rare i hear her chirp at that. Guess that's her disapproval of food runs xD

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:14 pm

I'm glad she still has a good appetite.

Any chance you can get a copy of the xrays and post them here?

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:52 pm

Probably but it will have to wait till Tuesday. Monday is a holiday here but I am not sure if they are still open tomorrow. It is a 50/50

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:26 am

Just called the vet. They were open but the specific vet that saw my guinea was not in today. She will be tomorrow.

I have asked the secretary to email me her xray scans. Should be today. Once I receive them I will post them here.

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:31 am

these are the xray images. the sticky note attached to the meds i payed for said, "bladder stone is small. Try to feed veggies with lower calcium content. (see house rabbit society)". i will confirm if it is small enough to maybe pass through tomorrow unless someone here is knowledgeable with reading xray images.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:53 pm

I can't really tell too much from these; maybe someone else can. They seem a little grainy, and the stone seems opaque---almost like sludge. Assuming it's a stone and not sludge, I'd want to know if the vet thinks it may pass on its own, or if they can flush it out of the bladder.

Did you say she passes quite a bit of calcium deposit on her bedding?

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:16 pm

White powder i do see. I see them on the fleece I place under her hut before. Lately not much but i don't know if the stone is stopping sludge from coming out and/or pee and thats why I dont see it or the reduced pellets is working. Kinda hard to tell. Also the extra water I give her as well.

I'll definitely bring allot of stuff up tomorrow when I speak to the vet tomorrow. If you have any other concerns or questions, leave them here.

Also, since I had placed a new fleece under her hut before she came back from the vet, today I see very faded white marks.

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:09 pm

questions. i have increased the quantity of lettuce (i never use romaine) to about 1.5 to 2 leafs a day (red leaf lettuce is the one i have currently) with about a hand full of bell peppers (in this case yellow and orange are the ones i have currently) diced in cubes for easy eating (she tends to choke easy). For example, today i cut some yellow and orange peppers for variety equaling a bit over a hand full. Not all at once of course. like 1 leaf in the morning and the rest at like 7pm.

Morning i would have her chase each veggie piece for extra activity and same for the afternoon. extra water from a 1ml syringe for each medicine syringe (4 med syringe in total so 2 extra water syringe) on top of the water she would drink from her water bottle and the bits of water from the veggies i drench.

pellet have been reduced significantly but i still give her just a bit every other day. i was thinking maybe every 2 days because of the stone? I'm not sure about this one

is this ok of an increase in veggies? just wondering since i know these veggies do have their calcium content as well. i used to give her 1 leaf (so half in the morning and the other half at night) and just a little bit less of a handful of bell peppers before the stone confirmation.

This is my routine. any concerns? is something too much? anything i should reduce? i am all ears.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:38 pm

Here is a larger image to look at. They don't look small to me (if the shady area is the stone).

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:47 pm

i thought the stone was that round white circle. i was never shown in person so i cant circle which one is the stone sadly.

i will still ask what she thinks on the stone.
Last edited by sozansound2 on Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:50 pm

Yes, that's what I was guessing it was too. It does not look small.

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:05 pm

in your opinion, do you believe that can pass? i know you arent a vet but seeing it as a pig dad/mom's eyes.

it is just hard because money is not the issue for me. it's if the decision to go forth with the surgery is just me being selfish. i saw my male guinea and the way he suffered during his last moments. that is what churns my stomach everyday. he refused to take any pain meds, food, water (even from syringe feeding) after he came home. he did eat the second he woke up from surgery and was super happy and energetic till 1 hour passed under the surgeons supervision.