Blood spots on Lacey’s bedding

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:39 am

How odd! It does sound like something neurological or something in the jaw muscle.

Fingers crossed here as well. :)

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:11 pm

Lucy had a piece of hay stuck between 2 back teeth. She had been wanting to eat, but stopping like it was painful. This went on for a while. The vet finally noticed an off smell in Lucy's mouth & removed the hay. I can't remember what all she had done in previous exams to try & find the cause of the problem. I would assume your vet would have noticed something like this with all the tests that have been done.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:11 pm

Wow, so sorry they missed this!

For what it's worth, I wish we too could easily examine our guinea pig's teeth. I remember talking my dentist out of a pic or two and a small dental mirror (mirror was scratched, the pics were worn). A small dental mirror to examine the back of the front teeth would have been so helpful. Unusual that the hay piece was not at all visible from the front. Smell is an excellent giveaway of bacterial growth. In this case, decaying food but bad smells are frequently a sign of infection.

I imagine the skin around it was inflamed and tender.

I notice some of these even have a small led light (so helpful!). Fairly inexpensive:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Ind ... 8297616011

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:36 am

Sadly, Lacey crossed the Rainbow Bridge this morning. On Monday I made a clinic appointment for her. She was obviously not going to recover, and her weight continued to drop. She was spending so much of the day just sitting in a hidey and I felt so bad for her.

She ate more hay smoothie and shredded food over the weekend. The extra-fine papaya-flavored CC I ordered about a week ago arrived on Monday and she really liked that. So while she couldn’t eat long strands of hay, she had enough options so at least she wasn’t hungry.

I received a complete report of the blood work they did last week and there was no inflammation or infection. At that time they anesthetized her and thoroughly rinsed, swabbed and examined her entire mouth and gums, and took x-rays of her teeth and sinus areas. And the vet said she checked her jaw movement as well. So it’s a mystery why she could no longer chew properly.

The vet and tech were very kind and sympathetic today. I held her wrapped in a fleece blanket while she peacefully drifted off to sleep.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:19 am

Oh no, I am so sorry, ItsaZoo. Lacey was one of my favorite little gals on GL. She had such good care and lived a pampered life with you.

Sending you a gentle hug from me and the boys,
Sef

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:32 am

I'm so sorry you lost her.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:04 am

Oh, no. I'm so, so sorry. Lacey had a wonderful life thanks to your love and care.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:11 am

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss, ItsaZoo. Lacey was so well loved, so well cared for. I know you will miss her greatly.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:11 am

I am so sorry. Lacey was so well-loved and cared for - she had a wonderful life with you. She was a special pig & I'll miss stories about her antics.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:35 pm

Thank you all for your kind words. I do miss her so. I spent yesterday washing bedding, cages and accessories and sorting supplies. I’m keeping the unopened food, and half of the bedding that I sewed. I went kind of crazy buying fleece, but it was so much fun. I built such a nice cage, I’m sure there’s a future piggy or two who wouldn’t mind moving in. :)

I just wish there was a guinea pig rescue near me. The closest ones are over an hour away and they’re very particular about donations. Our local Humane Society will take everything but I already throw a lot of support their way. So I’ll have to check around a bit.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:46 am

So there might be a new pig in your future?? We sometimes feel like we're "betraying" the memory of our recently departed pig, but it also feels like honoring that pig by giving a home to a gp in need.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:09 am

It’s a cycle of emotions, that’s for sure. I’ve been through this with dogs and I think it’s the same with all pets. They’re part of the family and at some point they develop health issues. So the care becomes almost like hospice. It’s exhausting but also rewarding. When they’re gone, you miss them and feel sad or guilty that you couldn’t have done more.

But eventually you realize that you adopted that pet because you love having pets. Even though this one was special and unique, your love for pets is bigger than just that one. So the cycle starts all over. You remember all the fun and happy years of having a pet and you want that again.