Jill, Jaffa and Jupiter

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:03 pm

None of the girls are showing any signs and haven't since Jill displayed them back in January. Jill also lives alone but can see Jay and Jersey through the barrier.

Jill I guess sick of grass, NO longer one of her favourite foods. After 3 months of nothing but grass can't say I blame her. Thanks for replies Lynx and ItsaZoo. Keep you posted.

I think weight gain may be due to the Glucose she gets twice a day. Will have to see when she goes off it. For now just happy weight is going in the right direction!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:29 pm

Well Jill has done a back flip. Poops mushy again and major weight lost. Have not changed diet, did remove glucose and Anaplex from medication.

Now I am curious can mice be the cause of Jill's protozoan bugs? We have had an unusual amount this year. We have mice traps and have caught many. They are also early this year.

We think they are attracted by the hay which we have inside the house as if outside more mice can access it and neighbours do not keep their cats indoors. When outside found cat poops and smelt of urine. Of course this hay was chucked out. This was nearly 3 years ago when we first moved in.

Girls in lounge, mice in kitchen, hay in dining room adjoining kitchen. Any suggestions on how to store hay fresh BUT safe from mice and cats!

Got this of Google: Rodents carry a wide range of disease-causing organisms, including many species of bacteria, viruses, protozoa and helminths (worms).

Will keep you posted, hope to get on top of this situation with Jill and the mice. Think only a handful left but can't be sure.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:12 pm

I am sorry she's having problems again.

If you were really worried about mice in the hay but wanted ventilation, you could build a hardware cloth cage for it. Choose the hardware cloth with 1/2" openings (hardware cloth is strong welded wire). Cut or bend panels and wire them tightly together

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:32 pm

Thanks for reply Lynx. Jill put on 30 grams in one day. Am monitoring her like a hawk. Hoping she continues to improve!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:48 am

Took Jill to the vet today and vet was happy with her. In 10 days she had put on 120grams but poops whilst mushy had some sort of shape.

He said she had Cystitis. Where she didn't have stones but an inflamed intestines and bowels. Especially when she strained and pushed but no poop or pee comes out. He checked urine and poop, urine normal and no bugs in poops.

He said to give steroid for 2 days miss a day, give 2 days and miss a day for 2 weeks and report back. At least for now it is a relief! Will keep you posted.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:56 pm

It sounds like you’re getting on top of the issues, hope you see improvement!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed May 19, 2021 1:19 pm

Thanks for the replies. Jill is still having same problems, strange thing is once a day maybe twice her poops will be normal but sticky but most times blobs.

The straining and pushing is getting worse, she does this even if there is nothing that comes out. The blood has now disappeared thankfully!

Has decided to remove all veggies and hand feed every 4 hours instead of 6 in hopes of keeping weight on her with is now below 800grams. Now the girls are in our lounge where my PC is, how does one ignore a squeaking piggy who wants her food?

How long should I with hold food? Till poops normal or weight lost? I have never had this before in piggies. But test have proven it is IBD. Any advice much appreciated.

Medication: She is on Anaplex 0.01ml once a day, Predislone(sp) 0.08mls 2 days miss a day and so forth,Pron8ature(used to be Protexin) twice a day. Metomide 10th of a tablet twice a day. Will keep you posted and thank-you!

Vet wanted me to use charcoal on her food, just sprinkle on her food, but was told it would stop her medication giving her the full benefits. What do you all think? It would be a small amount once a day.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 19, 2021 10:01 pm

Perhaps you could stagger the use of the charcoal so it does not interfere with the medications?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu May 20, 2021 3:53 am

Had to restart normal feeding as being on just Critical Care and water made poor either more mushy or none there. She has also started to have spasms/tremors.

Made vet appointment for tomorrow as not happy with her at all! Have stopped glucose as told sugar bad. She was getting 0.02mls twice a day.

Thanks for reply Lynx will post again tomorrow. Maybe mushy poops are the norm from now on?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 20, 2021 10:02 pm

0.02mls is a very tiny amount. As a human, if my sugar levels got low (failed to eat enough), I would be trembly and hungry. I wonder if the glucose might help with the tremors. I understand how worrisome this is. I hope you can get her sorted out.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri May 21, 2021 5:52 am

Thanks for reply Lynx, it would be 0.02mls twice a day. OK don't ask me how but the bad parasite is back in her poops, vet only saw the one and it took him some time to see that.

I had to stop him twice as he was going to give her medication that would have killed her BUT instead of saying hey I am the vet not you, he looked it up and saw I was right!

So for now she is back on Flagyl and on Tuesday have to go back and he will send a poop sample off to be tested. Now maybe I am wrong but I thought a piggy had to be off antibiotics for at least a week before poop testing. But I will ask the vet when I see him Tuesday after I get my own blood test(YIKES!). Will keep you posted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 21, 2021 8:54 am

I could be wrong but I thought parasites in poops were something a vet would examine using an office microscope. They are hit or miss because sometimes they are passed in the feces but sometimes not. But this may depend on the particular parasite. What does he suspect? Is it indeed something treated using antibiotics rather than an antiparasitic?

What was the dangerous medication your vet considered giving?