Wilber and Grady

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon May 03, 2021 11:45 pm

Maybe that's what my rye grass needs, repotting for more root space. Or I could just plant it in the yard, there are plenty of bare spots I could fill!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue May 04, 2021 1:00 am

Could be. The wheat grass is planted in a spongy material when you get the trays from the store and there are lots of roots that grow through the sponge and even get through the drain holes in the plastic tray. More than enough to get into the rich soil I have in the elevated garden I built. Certainly explains why my wheat grass took off and could mean your rye grass would do the same.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu May 06, 2021 8:09 pm

The wheat grass got tall enough to harvest the second cut; first cut since planting it in the garden. Man, was it thick. It actually doubled in thickness from when I transplanted it. There was plenty to go around. All 7 guinea pigs got a rather sizeable handful. It'll be interesting to see how it grows back.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu May 13, 2021 12:17 am

So in just 6 days, the wheat grass is just about ready for the second cut since planting it outside. I even trimmed a little off of the edge for the boys. I'm glad it's doing so well. I hope it keeps growing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 13, 2021 9:33 am

I am sure they'll enjoy it.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu May 13, 2021 4:52 pm

My piggies enjoy grass very much. When the lawn goes dormant in winter, the adults who get used to going out to graze really miss it. I try to get wheat grass from the store as often as I can, but it gets expensive with 7 of them to provide grass for. I got a bag of wheat grass seed and I'm going to try growing it inside this winter.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 13, 2021 8:48 pm

I am sure there are lots of tips about growing it inside online. I know the soil mix is important. Do you have a good window to put it in?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat May 15, 2021 1:20 am

My dining room window gets the afternoon sun.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon May 17, 2021 12:38 am

Wheat grass and rye grass is very easy to grow from seed. My problem is it does grow back very well once it’s trimmed. But it may be that it’s root bound.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue May 18, 2021 3:45 am

Third cut on the wheat grass yielded quite a bit. All 7 piggies got a good amount. Let's see how a 4th cut goes. I'm optimist because of how thick it is.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:11 am

The wheat grass is doing so well. When I got it, there were 4 trays of it. I cut it down near to the roots and planted it in the corner of the raised garden bed. Since then, I've cut it down to give the piggies 4 times and it's ready to be cut again. I'd say the experiment in wheat grass is a big success.

I actually got green leaf lettuce to grow this year. It's almost ready for the little ones to devour. There were two lettuce plants that sorta grew by accident and they loved it. I'm planning to build a pair of 20 by 10 foot greenhouses on my property in Missouri and I've learned quite a bit from this gardening experiment. I should be able to provide all of my piggies as well as my family enough fresh veggies year round.

Enough about that. I know you would rather hear about the little guys. They're getting along pretty well. You hardly notice that they've grown bigger. I had to look at the pictures I took of them when I first got them to see it. They're full on outgoing now. They actually get all 4 paws on the cage wires when they climb up to greet me. They know to get down when I unlock the latches to open the door. They're so smart.

They've also picked up on how to get Daddy to hurry up and give them treats, attention or whatever is going around at the time. You guessed it! They chew on the cage wires. I'm always amazed at how Scruffy's legacy has passed down to the pigs who came to us after he passed. BJ, Oreo, Gilligan, and Skipper never knew Scruffy, but Mr Bubbles, Sammy and Dean did. They teach all new arrivals that trick. I'm wondering how long it will take for the little princess to pick it up.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:28 am

They are fast learners. So glad Wilber and Grady are settling in well and have you well trained! I have had mostly sows and must say none of mine have been wire chewers. Hoping they all enjoy the road trip and enjoy there new home and new grass and veggies!