Jewel and Jinx's medical thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:16 am

Jinx before and after stone "disappeared" (looks like it was in the urethra):

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:48 am

Didn't stop her peeing. Was in there for around 6 weeks between X-rays. Second X-Ray taken day of stone removal surgery but no stone to remove. Thank-you Lynx for adding X-Rays.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:30 pm

Well Jinx still leaves blood spot on her towels but now she is losing weight. So when I take Jill to vet Friday will be taking Jinx in as well. She is eating, drinking, peeing and pooping quietly. Except for weight loss no other problems. Will keep you posted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:01 pm

I hope you can figure out what is going on. I imagine you will have her teeth checked.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:36 am

Teeth were checked when sedated for X-rays but will make sure they are checked again. As well as more X-rays to look for stones to see if any have returned. Thanks Lynx. Keep you posted.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:15 am

Jinx on the other paw had blood in urine and urine test showed she had a bladder infection so she is on Bactrim 0.4mls twice a day for a week and Pron8ture. On our scales 1011grams vet's scales 1080grams.

Big difference hey? So hoping she feels better real soon. Yet she never stopped eating, peeing and pooping. Keep you posted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:43 pm

Glad she is otherwise doing okay. I hope the Bactrim clears up the bladder infection.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:41 pm

Hope she keeps eating and gets this cleared up. That’s a big difference between scales. But your home scale is really just for a comparison between weights from day to day.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:12 pm

Thanks for the replies Lynx and ItasZoo. Thursday morning in the wee hours of the morning got Jinx out to change her white towel and my husband says bl**dy hell, I turn around and there is all these bright pink spots on the floor. I clean them up then she does another lot.

I rang the vet and got one who knows nothing about guinea pigs. She suggested I either take her to town or wait till surgery opens. We chose the latter as (a) we are in Winter and outside it was 2C, (b) Jinx stresses easily, (c) emergency vets know nothing about piggies and the ones I have dealt with say PTS get another. So I just got some Bactrim from fridge and gave her some and blood slowly went away.

Anyways took her to normal vet and for the 4th time in a year she has a bladder infection so is on 0.2mls of Bactrim twice a day for 7 days and Pron8ure(use to be Protexin) twice a day.

My question is why does she keep getting the infections? She has had no more stones since the first one which magically disappeared on day of surgery! Thanking in advance!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:36 pm

Does she have long hair? I am sure you keep everything pretty clean. If she has long hair, trimming all her butt hair might help prevent UTIs.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:03 am

Does she sleep in one spot? If so, be sure to change the bedding often to keep it dry. That can contribute to UTIs.

I had to take corner litter pans out of my cage because one of my pigs insisted on sleeping in them.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:16 am

She is a chocolate short hair. All my pigs love laying in their pees. When Joy passed away January 2020 she was the last of my long hairs. She loves the Bactrim BUT hates the Pron8ure(protexin). They said when they changed the name of Protexin to Pron8ure the recipe/ingredients stayed the same. BUT all my pigs hate it and it doesn't seem to help any of them.

Have tried Bio-sponge which also did nothing. Any suggestions on what I can buy in Australia as an Probiotic? Thanks for replies Lynx and bpatters. keep you posted. This one or something else? Not sure if Chicory is good for pigs. I have my doubts! https://www.catch.com.au/product/vetafa ... il5c.click I use to have Chicory in my coffee. Thanks in advance.