Our girl Cherry has taken ill and has lost some of her appetite

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:31 am

Off hand, I don't know if any of those antibiotics are safe for pigs when used in the regular fashion. I don't remember any of our pigs being prescribed them.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:53 am

Cipro is a fluoroquinolone. Doxy is used orally for pigs all the times. And Azithromycin is one of the big guns that's given to them when nothing else works, but it's hard on the gut.

duskern

Post   » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:00 pm

So all of these antibiotics, you have heard of them being given to guinea pigs?

I think our vet is currently at a point where she doesn't really know to give her. Baytril is not really doing anything, and she can't find any info on other antibiotics that they have, being given to guinea pigs. That's why I volunteered to try to find out what other options there is.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:39 pm

Yes, they are used on guinea pigs (the three you mentioned). I am sorry you are not seeing results. Baytril has a range of doses. It is possible a higher dose might be more effective.
https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html

duskern

Post   » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:21 am

That is nice to know at least. Do you have any recommendations or ideas at this point?

duskern

Post   » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:12 am

I seem to have misunderstood our vet, but that list of medicine (Fluoroquinolon, Doxycyclin and Azithromycin) is what they have available that they actually use for guinea pigs.

duskern

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:08 am

Baytril has a range of doses. It is possible a higher dose might be more effective.
She's currently getting 1,5 ml twice a day with 12 hours in between. What did you mean by range of doses Lynx?
Cipro is a fluoroquinolone. Doxy is used orally for pigs all the times. And Azithromycin is one of the big guns that's given to them when nothing else works, but it's hard on the gut.
What is a fluoroquinolone?

Is Baytril something completely different from the three antibiotics i mentioned earlier?

I need to figure out what the next logical step is, but I just don't know what makes the most sense to try.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:50 am

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=quinolones

Baytril is also a fluoroquinolone.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:08 pm

From the antibiotics page, describing a range:
Oral Dosage: 2.5-10.0 mg/kg q12h

So it could be 2.5mg/kg every 12 hours or as much as 10mg/kg every 12 hours.

Guinea Beans

Post   » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:24 pm

I hope things go well for you

One of our girls had similar issues at the end on November and stopped eating.
She is still active and inquisitive but only sniffs at food rather than eating it.

The vet isn't sure what the issue is. She found some problems on the first exam but those were treated and she was starting to improve but then started losing weight again just before Christmas.

We are giving her 3 tablespoons of Critical Care each day to keep her weight stable. She is going in for X-ray next week.

Will keep my fingers crossed.

duskern

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:39 am

From the antibiotics page, describing a range:
Oral Dosage: 2.5-10.0 mg/kg q12h

So it could be 2.5mg/kg every 12 hours or as much as 10mg/kg every 12 hours.
I'm not entirely sure it compares to the Baytril we have been given by our vet. On the bottle I have it says 25mg/ml, and we have been giving her 1 ml every 24 hours. I don't really understand all this. The label could be wrong but I don't suspect that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:30 am

I think you are confusing the dose and the dosage (I get confused too). The dosage is in mg/kg and is the amount of the dose in "dry", weight form. You are trying to compare it to a suspension of 25mg/ml (an amount of 25 mg is in 1ml - aka 1cc). One calculates the amount given by looking at the ml given which in your case is one and means each dose is 25mg BUT this is always adjusted by the weight of the guinea pig. A guinea pig of two kilograms would get twice the amount.

If Baytril (enrofloxacin) can be give at 2.5 mg/kg or a high of 10 mg/kg, that means a two kilogram guinea pig might get a dose anywhere between 5 mg and 20mg. If the dose was given once a day instead of twice a day, you would be giving 5mg/kg to 20 mg/kg Q24hr.

Look over this page. Plug in numbers. Read it several times if you don't understand what I just wrote above.
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

Baytril can affect appetite.
https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html