Keds Medical Thread - not eating on own

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:46 pm

Cut her food in matchstick sized strips and poke it back to her molars. If she can get her back teeth on it, she can eat it.

You may need to handfeed Critical Care. You definitely don't want her developing bloat issues because she's not eating enough.

maggieP

Post   » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:13 pm

We’ve been doing CC already, vet also suggested she might prefer Emeraid for a little while so I ordered some of that. She ate some small bell pepper pieces that I pushed towards her molars. Was just hoping she would eat on her own now as she seems much more interested in the veggies.

maggieP

Post   » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:22 am

I noticed a lump on her chin this week and we got her in to Berkeley today. I think the vet we have there seems more experienced than the others. She had a light sedation to clear it out and we are seeing huge improvement right now. She is slurping down lettuce and pellet mash currently.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:29 am

I hope it clears up completely (sounds like there was an infection). Is she getting antibiotics at the moment?

maggieP

Post   » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:10 am

Yes, on Chloramphenicol now

maggieP

Post   » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:29 pm

She's been stable and adding a little bit of weight over the past week or so. She is eating pellets on her own and we've slowed the Critical Care down to maybe once a day with some water as well. Haven't seen her eating a lot of hay yet. Staying on the antibiotics for another two weeks. The abscess wound keeps starting scabbing over, and they told us to stop the irrigation during our recheck yesterday. Not 100% sure about that though as I am seeing some white stuff still recur frequently.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:24 pm

Glad to hear she is eating pellets on her own. I am siding with you on not being sure you should stop the irrigation if you are still seeing some white (correction) stuff. You don't want it to scab over and end up with another infection. Ideally the pus would no longer be produced and it would be able to heal normally.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:40 pm

Ditto. As long as you're flushing pus out of the wound, I'd keep flushing. If it heals up with the pus still in there, it's just burst open later, and possible even cause the infection to spread.

maggieP

Post   » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:47 am

We were doing well since our last update, until just this week. She was eating better (hay, pellets and veg) and stable at a little under 800g. Just the past few days dropped down to 740-750 or so and is not eating as much. Seems to be having more dental problems as she tries to hold her veg down with her foot to grasp and has trouble with all but soft veggies. Just tonight she developed a cloudy eye (same side as the abscess). Abscess doesn’t seem fully healed; bad smell, still somewhat scabby and a bit of white stickiness.

Also, her upper left tooth still doesn’t look healed, it’s yellow and a bit misshapen.

Have a vet appt for Thursday. They do have an ER vet available tomorrow night but she seems active enough that I’m not sure it’s warranted...

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:35 am

Oh shoot, I'm sorry that she is having more issues. Do you still have the Chlor?

maggieP

Post   » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:55 pm

Yes we do still have some Chloramphenicol and also some eye drops from earlier this year when she was having the leaky eyes... Ofloxacin ophth. sol 0.3% 10 ml . Wonder if that will help with the cloudiness?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:08 pm

If there is a bad smell, there is still an infection. Had you been flushing the wound with warm sterile saline solution? I would use warm wet compresses to remove any scabbing and the white stickiness and see if you can flush it with a curved tip syringe.