Keds Medical Thread - not eating on own

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:51 pm

If there is any chance of a uterine infection, it seems a spay would be the best route (besides taking care of the ovarian cysts).

You will want to read up on surgery and after care to be prepared. These are useful articles.
https://www.guinealynx.info/surgery.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

maggieP

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:57 pm

Thanks Lynx, I’ll review. Is it recommended to have a separated “hospital cage”/ quarantine area for here away from our other two GPs?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:03 pm

Yes, a separate, smaller cage to limit running around which would interfere with proper healing of the incision. But you can put the cage real close by.

maggieP

Post   » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:44 pm

Keds doesn’t seem as miserable as she had been looking before the Tramadol. She walks around a fair bit and eats a bit of her favorite veggies. However the past couple days she has had a very wet chin and appears to be grooming/wiping her mouth a lot. She makes a yawning motion when she does this. She also seems a little less agreeable to the syringe feeding. Hoping the molar trim will help. Perhaps her teeth are getting overgrown due to the prolonged soft diet...?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:44 am

Not sure. Hay generally does a good job if grinding down the teeth, assuming there is no misalignment.

maggieP

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:17 pm

She seems to be doing ok so far after surgery. We are at day 3 post-op. But her mouth issues and eating has not really improved. Trying to get a second vet that may have more experience with dental issues.

Is there a difference between a regular xray and a skull xray? The latter has more detail I assume? Vet basically said her molars look fine and didn’t know what the issue was. Would an abscess show up on xray? She only had a full body one apparently.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:05 pm

Yes, an xray of the skull to evaluate dentition is different from a regular one. It provides more detail. Yes, a vet should be able to identify an abscess if it is present.

maggieP

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:53 pm

Here’s a picture of her top incisors. The left one was fractured somehow. She does seem to be favoring that side, tilting her head to the right when trying to grasp something.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:12 am

I cropped a closeup of your picture so we can see the teeth a little better (let me know if that is okay). Do you know if the small, discolored upper incisor has been broken more than once? Sometimes discoloration can indicate it will fall out again and may have been injured or infected.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:02 am

Agree. That tooth doesn't look too healthy.

The corresponding bottom incisor may need to be filed down a little to remove the sharp edge, since it's not able to grind down properly.

maggieP

Post   » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:38 pm

Thanks. I’m not sure. I only noticed it around two weeks ago. It almost looked like it was split down the vertical at one point. I think it’s growing back healthy near the gum but it’s hard to tell.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:47 pm

If there was an injury or infection, sometimes a tooth will fall out more than once while it tries to grow in correctly.