Jewel and Jinx's medical thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:05 am

You would not read about it Jewel, Jinx's biological sister now has blood in urine. Have booked her in for Monday! I just can't believe the bad luck we are having!!! Feel like screaming. Keep you posted.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:41 pm

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. One sick piggie is hard enough, two is really difficult

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:55 pm

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. One sick piggie is hard enough, two is really difficult
Actually we have 3. Jinx and Jewel, and Jill to whom we think age is catching up with her. She'll be 6 in December. Been hand feeding her since January this year. If we don't she starts to lose weight.

She's had test all clear, thinks she just needs a little helping paw. She lost her sister Jupiter February 2017, other sister Jaffa December 2019. And her chat buddy through the barrier Joy January 2020. Think losing all her friends and relatives have knocked her around or upset her.

Now on the matter of bladder stones one of the vets Jinx has seen feels that urine is to0 alkaline like alkaline starts at 7.1 as 7.0 is neutral, Jinx and Jill's urine was 9 or more,now this is normal for a guinea pig BUT he feels if their pee was a little more acid like 7-8 then their pee could break down stones and flush them out but more importantly if their pee was 7-8 there would be less stones.

And he said you can't over dose a piggy on Vitamin C as (a) they can't make their own and (b) what they don't need they'll pee out. What do you all think? Vet sees mainly dogs, cats, wildlife, farm animals but does see and know some about guinea pigs! Thanks Bookfan for the reply!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:05 pm

As I read that I was thinking about the urine business - we've dealt with a lot of stone pigs & I've never had a vet mention acidity or whatever. That doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Give Jill a scritch for me & tell her I'm sorry for all her losses. :-( (Did I get the right pig?)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:28 pm

I already responded earlier that it IS possible to over-dose vitamin C. This vet is wrong about that. Higher doses over a period of time can cause what is known as pseudo-scurvy when the amount of C is suddenly lowered again.

On urine alkalinity, there is no way to reliably or consistency reduce guinea pig urine pH. Lowering overall calcium in the diet might help, as I also pointed out, but it may not. The higher the alkalinity, the greater the likelihood of crystals, sludge and calcium carbonate stone formation, so it's something to be aware of. At the very least, I'd cut out any pellets that contain calcium carbonate (also sometimes listed on the bag as Limestone). I can't remember if you already looked at that.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:49 am

(Did I get the right pig?)
Yes you did get the right pig! She says wheek! Thanks for the scratch!
I already responded earlier that it IS possible to over-dose vitamin C. This vet is wrong about that. Higher doses over a period of time can cause what is known as pseudo-scurvy when the amount of C is suddenly lowered again.

On urine alkalinity, there is no way to reliably or consistency reduce guinea pig urine pH. Lowering overall calcium in the diet might help, as I also pointed out, but it may not. The higher the alkalinity, the greater the likelihood of crystals, sludge and calcium carbonate stone formation, so it's something to be aware of. At the very least, I'd cut out any pellets that contain calcium carbonate (also sometimes listed on the bag as Limestone). I can't remember if you already looked at that.
I was only telling you what the vet said. An opinion that's all. As for the pellets we are on Oxbow Adult pellets as it is either Oxbow or rabbit and guinea pig pellets. We do not get KMS(?) Did I get the name right? I bought one once from USA and it never got pass customs. I contacted KMS and they said they have no intentions at the present time to come to Australia and that was around 6 years ago and still not here!

As to diet I am current pricing how much to grow grass in the front yard. We only have dirt. To grow cat grass for 5 piggies I would need around 50 pots plus seeds a total of around $350.00. There is a guy my husband use to get grass from but I know it is silly but I just feel that grass is bad luck!

We got the grass and with in 3 months we lost Jan Nov 2018 to ear infection-she got 85% of the grass. Then we got it again and gave 85% to Jaffa, Joy and Jill. We lost Jaffa Dec 2019 to what we think were dental issues. Then we lost Joy Jan 2020 due to fluid and heart issues. So far and hope it stays that way Jill is OK.

Do you think we should get the grass again? Diet would then be grass, lettuce(Oak red/green), Cos(Romaine) lettuce, carrot, cucumber, tomato, celery, with the Oxbow pellets and Timothy hay and meadow hay(pasture). The guy does have dogs but said dogs can't get to the grass and I always wash it before the girls get to it.

Thanks for the replies Bookfan and Sef! As I have stated each pig gets a pinch 3 times a day on their food(Vitamin C). Hoping this is not too much!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:20 am

Daisymay, I hope everyone goes into recovery mode for you. That's a lot to handle, even for someone with all the experience you have taking care of your piggies.

I grow cat grass indoors in the winter and the kind I have looks like oats. Maybe you can buy in bulk and save on the cost of the seed.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:31 am

When we grow indoors we get little flying bugs. This is the cat grass we can get. https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/11700/i.htm ... ss&_sop=15 Thinking of buying cheap green house for them so can go outside. Like this one. https://www.bunnings.com.au/naturallife ... e_p3321075 Three or four of these might do the trick.
Also thinking of buying this https://www.bunnings.com.au/rite-gro-1k ... d_p2961951 Front lawn just dirt at present time. Back yard gravel.

How do you grow enough grass for your pigs to last all year round? Currently have 10 pots and that only lasts 3 days a week then have to wait till they grow again. Usually 4 weeks.

Touching wood, Jinx is improving and loving the Bactrim. No blood overnight for Jewel. And Jill is enjoying biting her daddy slave's neck. Thanks for the reply ItsaZoo.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:57 am

I only grow a little bit in the house for a treat, nothing in enough quantity to replace hay. And the kind I have has to be replanted at some point. It gets root bound and just stops regrowing.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:41 am

It gets root bound and just stops regrowing.
I have some in pots that I planted 3 years ago, still going strong. Will look into growing some lawn, cat grass in the mean time. Thanks ItsaZoo.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:49 am

Got back from the vet, seems Jewel also has bladder infection. Her urine also had blood in it but had Protein in it too. PH wasn't as high only being 8.0. She got an Antibiotic injection and is on Enrotril 0.3mls once a day for 7 days and then she goes back to the vet.

Her urine was looked under microscope and it too had wiggly bugs in it. Jewel had not lost weight still 1160grams. So Jinx goes back to the vet Thursday for urine recheck. Jewel goes back Monday for urine recheck. Jinx also goes in Monday and gets her stitches out.

I told my husband we should just buggar it and take all 5 girls in and have their pee checked. First time I have had a vet bank and I am using it due to all these bladder problems.

If no change in either urine X-rays will be taken to check for stones. Will keep you posted. I still feel like screaming!!! To make matters worse nothing to do with the girls, I got out of bed Sunday and when my feet hit the floor, I heard a crack. I stepped on my glasses and broke them at the bridge of nose. So they are taped up so I can see and read. Have ordered 2 pairs one for seeing one for reading(cheaper this way) but due to Covid will take 4-8 weeks to get here. I swear at present we are cursed. First Jill, then Jinx, then Jewel, hay poke Jay, now my glasses, what next???

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:40 am

Could the vet just see Jinx on Monday for urine re-check (and stitches) with Jewel on Monday and save you a trip and clinic charge on Thursday?

As we say here, "When it rains, it pours."