Jewel and Jinx's medical thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:47 am

Okay Jinx's vet has had a few replies from other vets on website VIN. She said removing stones from guinea pigs not heard of much here in Australia. But these techniques have been high successfully and she hopes to try them on Jinx.

The first option is to sedate Jinx and then manipulate stone low into the urethra add catheter and remove. Option two is to make small incision into Jinx and into Urethra and remove stone. Stone is 2cms in size. She said Urethra would not need stitching.

What do you all think of this who have more experience in this situation and with stones. Thanks in advance. Hoping someone replies.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:33 am

It's good that your vet has researched it and is willing to try. As long as the stone hasn't adhered somewhere, manual manipulation and flushing is the least invasive and is likely what the vet will want to try first.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:17 am

Is she a good surgeon? Lots of surgical experience is very helpful and would give her confidence that she can do this.

Be sure to reread:
www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:47 am

Is she a good surgeon? Lots of surgical experience is very helpful and would give her confidence that she can do this.

She has done this many times in dogs but this will be a first in guinea pigs. She is quietly confident, where as I am a nervous wreck as I always am when a piggy needs to go under. She did say the 3 vets who replied to her post on VIN gave a lot of information hence why she feels confident. Even the vet who has done this hundreds of times had to start at number one.

Will try and get her booked in Tuesday or Wednesday. Jinx's vet is kind and caring and I know in my heart she will do her best! Lets hope Jinx plays her part too!
Thanks Sef and Lynx for the replies.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:35 am

Fingers crossed for her.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:59 pm

It sounds like she is sincere in wanting to help Jinx and conferring with other vets to make sure she gets it right. Wishing the best for Jinx.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:55 am

Thanks for the reply ItsaZoo.

My piggies for last 30 years have gotten to eat grass when available cat grass when it is cuttable,Oak reg/green lettuce, cos lettuce, baby spinach leaves, spinach and silver beet. Carrot, cherry tomato, continental cucumber. Oxbox Timothy hay(not keen) Adult Oxbow pellets, Meadow hay. Now Jinx and Jill who have the blood Jill not so much very pale) will not be happy but am going to cut out the silverbeet and spinach(keeping the baby spinach) and replace with parsley and celery(cut small). They will not be happy but until Jinx never had a stone pig on food mentioned above.

Now they get fed 3 times a day, carrot a slice X 3, Cucumber 1/2 X 3, cherry tomato a slice X 3. Silverbeet and spinach a quarter of a leaf X 3, baby spinach 4-7 leaves X 3, lettuce-oak a hand full X 3, Cos lettuce half a leaf X 3, grass when have it a hand full X 3. Pellets 1/4 bowl and Timothy hay 1/4 bowl, meadow hay all over their pen. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Now last time we left Jinx at vet for a few hours she hid from us and only came out to eat when we went to bed. She did this for a day and a half, any suggestions? She lives alone with divider dividing her and her sister Jewel.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:56 am

Have just discovered a lump under Jinx's chin. It is round and hard, attached to the skin and the size of a 5 cent piece. I will keep an eye on it and mention it to the vet when she goes in for her surgery. Can't poor Jinx catch a break?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:18 am

Sometimes it's just one thing after another for these pig babies. :-(

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:32 am

Hello Again,
Jinx went to the vet's today, had numerous X-Rays of abdomen, bladder, kidney etc and no stone/s were found so no surgery for that. Jill gets syringe fed Critical Care every 6 hours so we would give Jinx 4 syringes of water so looks like maybe it helped get rid of the stone. Vet couldn't ultrasound bladder as it was empty but no stones showed up on X-ray anywhere.

She did however have surgery to remove lump on side of her chest/face under chin near front leg. She cut it and it was like red skin not like a lump at all. So she has a few stitches for that. They are disposable ones but in 10-14 days she wants her back to remove them. I HATE them as Bambi our rabbit had them after surgery and when we took him to another vet 6 of them were still there and had started to go septic.

So for a few days she is on Meloxicam and currently in a storage tub on soft cushion with warm hot pack.
So Jinx loves Spinach and silverbeet HATES lettuce if I cut out silverbeet(only gets baby spinach now) what do I replace it with?

If Jinx starts to pass blood again next step is ultrasound to check uterus and ovaries and then maybe a spay. Will keep you posted. Nearly didn't happen today as nurses did a load of washing and all of a sudden vet surgery flooded. Thanks for the reply Bookfan.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:53 am

Glad they didn’t find stones. Hopefully you don’t have anymore issues with blood spots and the incision heals well. I don’t know what you can use to replace silverbeet. I have little baby lettuces that I’m growing for a few small leaves each day. Maybe fresh grown would appeal to her. Or do you have any fresh grass this time of year?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:33 am

Or do you have any fresh grass this time of year?
We are in middle of Winter and the damn frost is turning my catgrass yellow must have planted it to late. Will keep with silverbeet Friday and when I go shopping will spend ages in veggie section and rack this old brain.

Thanks for the reply ItsaZoo. I am hoping things improve. Jinx is now fully awake and has been put back in her cage after spending the afternoon in a plastic storage tub comfy cushion with a hot pack to keep her warm!