Jewel and Jinx's medical thread

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:37 am

Daisymay, I would make a note of the date you noticed the blood. If it happens again in about 16 days, it could be hormonal. I’ve been keeping an eye on Lacey since Thanksgiving when I took her in and was told it was probably a UTI. The second vet we visited did an ultrasound and saw nothing abnormal in the abdomen, bladder, or uterus. She mentioned it could be hormonal, and there have been blood spots at 16-day intervals.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:08 am

Good info!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:52 am

Over 18 years ago I wrote, "I was reminded by a friend that while guinea pigs are not known to have menstrual cycles with bleeding, it has been reported that a few will bleed a small amount -- a smear here or there -- for one to two days."

I have described Snowflake having a few drops of blood at regular intervals during times of her life.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:27 am

Thanks for the replies Lynx, Sef and ItsaZoo! Jinx passed blood Easter Sunday April 12th so on April 27th will put a white towel in her cage and she if she passes anymore. Thanks again! So far no more blood!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat May 02, 2020 5:12 am

The amount of blood Jinx is losing is not much, not sure if you are common with an Australian 5 cent piece it is half the size of that. ItsaZoo you said one of your female piggies bled for a while once every 16 days.

We are keeping close eye on her, will again around May 12th put white towel on top of her bedding and see if it happens for the the 3rd time. Last time she bled on April 12th, April 26th put towel on bedding, no blood till April 28th, kept a clean white towel(changed every day) and from April 29th to today NO blood. Will see if it happens again in 16 days.
This web page disagrees with you https://www.guineapigtube.com/do-guinea ... enstruate/

But if this is the case why does it only happen every 16 days? Jinx has had urine tested and blood free. She is happy, eating, peeing, pooping and maintaining weight. She is NOT crying out in pain. She is one happy piggy. Anyways will keep you posted. Off to watch Finding Dory, then tea. Thanks for the replies. Keep you posted!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 02, 2020 8:15 am

An interesting article. It does not have any scientific studies describing in detail the estrus cycle and absence of the possibility of blood (none of the linked to articles' abstracts that deal with the cycle itself mention the presence or absence of rare bleeding during a menstrual cycle). While bleeding during an estrus cycle is not at all common, those very few cyclical spottings that have been reported say to me that more needs to be known. The article does claim "something else" is going on during the apparent spotting/bleeding (certainly can be true).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat May 02, 2020 9:50 am

Additionally, bpatters has addressed this quite a few times over the years. I thought I had suggested searching for her user name and the word "bleed." Some examples:
Sows can also bleed during a heat period, although they usually don't. If you don't see any more today, but if it recurs in a couple of weeks, I'd assume it's heat-related. That might be indicative of hormonal or other reproductive issues.
Although sows don't ordinarily bleed when in heat, occasionally one will. If this is what's going on with your sow, you'll see it every 14-16 days for a day or so, but not in between.
While guinea pig sows do not usually bleed during heat, one will occasionally spot. If all you're seeing is a drop or two of blood, and if there's no odor, that's probably what's happening. If you're seeing more blood, or there's an obvious odor, she needs to see a good exotic vet.
In and of itself, [bleeding] doesn't seem to be a problem, but since it's happened twice, you might want to get her checked out by an exotic vet to make sure there's no infection or tumor of the reproductive tract.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat May 02, 2020 12:30 pm

1. Vets here are clueless. 2. She had an urine tested no blood in it. 3. I did read your suggestion about Bpatters but have been very busy with Jinx, Jay and Jill. 4. Both my husband and I are under the weather with some virus(NOT Covid) that's going around and it is all we can do to drag ourselves out of bed. 5. Still having PC problems, had to save all data and the reinstall Windows 10. Trying to tie up lose ends with it. Finishing touches.

Thanks for the replies Lynx and Sef. Thank-you Sef for taking the trouble to post some of her post. Information included in them was very interesting! For now am watching the girls and will go to the vet if any problems pop up. Thanks again!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon May 04, 2020 1:30 am

Just an update on Jinx. As you know she passed blood April 12th(Easter Sunday). Then it stopped. On April 26th to May 1st put white towel on top of her bedding, and like clockwork on April 28th she passed blood again. Then it stopped.

So I thought it was her menstrual cycle-if guinea pigs have one there is debate over this. BUT today 6 days after when she urinates she is bleeding again. I am wondering now sadly whether it is tumours, stones or a UTI?

The only change made to Jinx is after 3 weeks of introductions have reintroduced her sister Jewel to her cage. Before this had them in an closure for 2 hours a day for 3 weeks. Last night they spent the night together.
Any suggestions much appreciated as going out of my mind here! Have separated them again and Jinx is back to the white towel.

In 2 months she has lost 40grams. Now weighs 1063grams. Still eating and pooping and peeing. And appears happy in herself. Just after I write all is well, well Jinx I Jinxed you!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 04, 2020 7:02 am

I hope you can figure out if something is going on with her.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu May 07, 2020 10:41 am

Thanks for the reply Lynx. Jinx goes to the vet today, Friday so am hoping will know more then. Keep you posted.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed May 13, 2020 5:01 am

Still waiting to hear from vet. If don't hear soon I will be ringing them. They close at 7.00pm, the vet up Flaxley Road.
I reported vet on Wellington Road for killing Jan telling me head tilt, heart rate over 300 and temp nearly 42C is normal. But vet board of SA said whilst they'll look into it don't hold my breath as Jan was just a guinea pig. Makes me see red!

Jinx was at the vet for 8 hours and they did nothing!!! It seems seeing that since Jinx is not bleeding a lot-April 12th, April 28th and May 6th it seems this doesn't warrant ultrasound or antibiotics. Was told keep an eye on her, white towel etc, listen for squeaking when peeing and/or pooping watch for lack of appetite and weight lost.

If any of these happens start on antibiotics if not improved look into ultra sound or a urinalysis. For now we are happy though p*ssed of she was at the vet all that time she was scared stiff and ate little! She is happy to be home though not speaking to husband as he was the one to drop her off at vet.
Will keep you posted