Baytril (enrofloxacin) Primer

pinta

Post   » Tue May 13, 2003 3:03 pm

Has he been treated for mites? When their system is stressed, mites lying dormant can flare up resulting in that kind of behavior. Extreme, yes, but not unheard of. I have never heard of that reaction to Baytril. Pigs that can't tolerate Baytril stop eating and appear ill, usually lethargic.

Pamela Hammond

Post   » Tue May 13, 2003 3:47 pm

Mites, eh? Well, worth a check--thanks! Poor Morris.

Leinani

Post   » Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:11 pm

I'm so sorry I've never come across this thread before. Rum Tum was just prescribed the injectible Baytril--I believe it's once every 24 hours for 5 days.

Is there something wrong with this? Should I give it to him orally instead?

I could really use the advice, this is my first sick pig in years of being a slave and I'm a little worried.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:04 pm

Yes, baytril is not supposed to be given solely as an injection. www.guinealynx.info/medications.html#baytril

Leinani

Post   » Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:42 am

Thanks, I had already visited that site.

What else can I do? I really don't want to lose Rum Tum.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:25 am

Was there any reason you couldn't give the baytril orally?

Leinani

Post   » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:02 pm

No, that's basically what I wanted to know. It doesn't really say how to do that, do I just take out the needle?

Sorry, I need step by step directions. I'm actually not the one who is treating him. I am on another island and my parents are caring for him for me. Being that I've never had a sick pig before I really don't know if I take out the needle or put the Baytril in another syringe.

Thanks for the help.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:49 pm

Never mind! Answered my own question.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:13 pm

Perhaps they could squirt the dose into a plain needless syringe and then draw up a tiny amount of strawberry jam to make it taste better.

Here's a needless syringe. One would draw the plunger up so there is room for the dose to be placed inside the needless syringe.

Or if you have a very cooperative pig, the dose might be squirted on some food and fed that way.

Leinani

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:10 pm

Thanks for your help Lynx. Rum Tum passed away on Monday afternoon. Hopefully I'll know better next time.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:21 pm

I'm so sorry. Losing a pig you have tried so hard to help hurts.

PauloF

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:26 pm

I am sorry about Rum Tum. You did everything possible and provided a good life to him. Take care.