Taking down a hoarder

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:43 pm

Hello all. I haven't been around a lot. Moved into a condo (we LOVE it!), started going kayaking, and now taking a break to have cataract surgery completed on both eyes.

I thought it might be helpful to tell how I helped a group of rescuers take down a hoarder, in case anyone else gets into the same situation as I did. I was contacted several years ago by people involved in local rescue to get ideas about how to take down a hoarder that they knew of. They had been to the house of this person and found horrible conditions involving guinea pigs, dogs and cats. Apparently, there were dirty, tiny cages everywhere and the pigs were malnourished. The resident claimed she was a "rescue." I knew that she solicited for free guinea pigs on Craigslist. She also asked for donations, cages, food, etc.

The people who contacted me were disgusted by the conditions in her home. They wanted to know about sending animal control officers to see the conditions. During lots of back and forth conversations, they informed me that there was a minor that lived in the home who was homeschooled. When I heard that, a lightbulb went off in my head. Instead of trying to get animal control involved, I told them the best route to helping all the animals was to contact social services. It worked like a charm. When the social service people saw the condition of the home, including how almost every exit in the home was blocked by cages, they demanded that the person immediately get rid of all the animals. Then, the landlord of the property heard about it and started an eviction.

Anyway, it can sometimes be hard to get animal control involved in these cases, BUT this route worked well. Just thought I would share in case it might help out someone else.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:14 pm

Very interesting!

Just on the news tonight was a person who had malnourished horses and livestock that occasionally got free. People had been complaining for YEARS to animal control. It wasn't until they got out again, with multiple dead animals that anything was done.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:07 am

Yes, very interesting! Hoarding like that is a form of mental illness, so hopefully that person doesn't start "collecting" animals again elsewhere. :(

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:09 pm

Good for you for that inspiration!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:21 am

Good for you! I worked at county human services for a few years. The sheriff and social workers involved in abuse cases or child protection always looked for animals. Many times a home that wasn’t clean and had animals or droppings was a reason for them to return and make sure both the animals and the family were safe.

I haven’t been too impressed with Animal Control around here. They used to contract with the lowest-cost rescues, and one of those rescues was shut down due to neglect and dirty environment. Animal Control had to have noticed that when they brought animals in. Now they contract with our humane society, which is an excellent facility.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:53 pm

Well done WICharlie!