Female pig at local humane society

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:31 am

I support our local humane society and I follow their website posts of available animals. They have a female guinea pig that has been there since February. She’s close to 8 months old, and I’m feeling sorry for her. I stopped over there and had a volunteer help me. She couldn’t catch her but I did. Once I had her she was OK but she obviously isn’t getting socialized like she should be.

I know it’s just asking for trouble, but I’m tempted to see if she’d get along with Gidget. Both have been alone since they were babies as far as I know. The problem is if they don’t get along, I don’t have a space for another large cage. And the cage I have now is only a little more than 8 sq feet so I’m at about the minimum size for two pigs with no room to add on.

I hate to see her sitting there for so long but I also don’t want to get into a situation that I’ll regret. Any thoughts?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:32 am

I guess you wouldn't know until you try? Could take longer than expected. I imagine the little shelter pig would love to have some same species company. It can feel so alone to be by yourself.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:47 pm

Go for it !!!!! On a more sober note, yes, introductions can be difficult with no guarantee it'll work. I think we've only had 1 that didn't work and the new pig only lived a few months, sadly. We've had about 7 that eventually worked. My daughters handle it now.

Can you return the pig to the humane society if it doesn't work? If they do get along, it could be great for both of them. GP's really do like company and watching their interactions is so much fun.

i sure my daughters would be be happy to pass along tips if you want.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:06 pm

Daughter tips are the best! A different perspective and way of looking at things!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:20 pm

I could return the little pig if it didn’t work, but I would really have a tough time doing that.

Wish I had a little larger cage but I’ve only got one good place for a cage and there’s no wiggle room. She’s in the sunroom just off the kitchen so it’s a high-traffic area.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:43 pm

I could return the little pig if it didn’t work, but I would really have a tough time doing that.
I totally get that.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:29 pm

Yeah, I get that, too. I wish I could give you some good advice on this, but I'm always worried about pairings not working out. I'm thankful that I was finally able to put Jeremy back with Jethro not too long ago, after a 2-year separation. Four cages was getting to be too much. I also have very limited space.

I guess if it were me, I'd probably have to pass---even though I would feel bad about it.

As another thought, though...any way to stack cages if need be?

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:45 pm

I guess I would look at it this way - if you try and it works out, it'd be great for all concerned. If not, and you have to return her, it'll be hard (for you) but she's no worse off than before. And hopefully, someone else will come along and adopt her.

Could you bring Gidget for a meet and greet with the other pig at the Humane society and see how they react to each other?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:27 pm

Thanks for the input.

The humane society doesn’t have a meet and greet area for critters, just dogs. So I would have to bring her home with me, and put them in the clean cage at the same time. I have a grid fence for floor time, which would be nice to get acquainted, but my little stinker Gidget is not a fan of floor time so she climbs to try and get over, or lifts the grids to get under.

I can’t stack cages because Gidget is already on top of the dog’s cage. So she’s at about waist height, maybe 30 inches. Which is probably why she doesn’t like floor time.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:21 pm

Is there a guinea pig rescue anywhere in your area that could take her?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:51 pm

It's really unlikely that putting them in together without introduction will work, even if the cage is clean. Buddy baths haven't seemed to help. We keep newcomers is a smallish store-bought cage. I don't know if you have room for that. I don't think it would have to be in the same room, though.

Aside from one time, it has always been a process, starting in a hall (linoleum-floored) with one of us at each end. We put stuff around - open-ended hideys , stacked kleenex boxes, etc. and piles (or keenex boxes) of hay. My daughters have a theory that pigs consider us a part of the herd. Sitting there while they eat hay is a bonding time (so long as it's set up so they won't fight over it). We do this a number of times, depending on how things go. When there's no serious aggression (real biting) going on, we put them in the cage together and stay with them. We don't leave them together over night the first day or two. We've kept the number of pigs at 3 for a number of years now, and that makes it more difficult.

We had one pair of young pigs and a paper bag. One went into the bag and then the other did and they sat there. And came out friends. Both were very quiet, mild pigs.

This isn't what's recommended on the GL care page, but it works for us. It is a lot of work but the rewards are great.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:46 pm

Here is a link with some good information on doing introductions. Females properly introduced usually work out.

https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html