Female pig at local humane society

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:59 pm

Reprinted here too, with permission!
https://www.guinealynx.info/introductions.html

Bookfan, I like the idea that you all are part of the herd. Glad your method works well for you and your daughters.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:10 pm

Bookfan, it sounds like you have a good system for getting them together. I do have a store bought cage that I use for Gidget overnight. I do that so in case there’s any emergency I can take the whole cage with food and water, and not be trying to catch the little speed demon.

Sef, we don’t have a rescue around here for pocket pets. There was one in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area but they stopped taking animals during the pandemic and I’m not sure that they started again. They’re about 80 miles away. Most of the metro area rescues work with clients within a 50 mile radius.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:41 am

Shoot. Well, maybe try it and see? I have only had males and really don't know how hard it is to pair females, especially if they have not been paired with another pig in the past. :/

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:32 am

The two most difficult introductions were with new pigs who were scared which translated into aggression. Both of these girls were fine with their cage mates once they got to know them - not aggressive at all. Early on Vicky bit Fuzz's nose. The nose healed up nicely & now Vicky loves her - licks her face.

By all means use whatever approach you're comfortable with. It doesn't matter how you get there. The GL way is probably faster.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:15 pm

I just want to add, the pigs may think my daughters are a part of the herd, but daughters don't get into the cage & munch on hay. :P

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:28 pm

Sounds like you haven't found their favorite type of hay yet.
;-)