Alkaline water bad for gp’s?

Mojodojo88

Post   » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:37 pm

Hello,

I use an alkaline water filter in my Brita. I have been giving this water to my Guinea pigs for a few weeks now with no issues. But after reading on the inter webs I saw a few sites that said it’s ok and others that stated it isn’t. Curious if anyone has a clear answer!?!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:04 am

I haven't been able to find anything on the subject. I'm inclined to say that, since guinea pig bladder stones tend to form in a more alkaline environment, it may not be a good idea to increase the alkalinity of their drinking water.

That said, it seems there is some debate as to whether or not an alkaline filter actually does anything, or that alkaline water itself has any health benefits for humans.

If it were me, I'd skip the alkaline filter and instead use a regular filter in the Brita to remove impurities--just to be on the safe side.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:18 am

I think of how alkalinity is increased for fish in acid water (out of tap, my water for pond is somewhat acid due to carbon dioxide dissolved in the water). As the water stands, it will tend toward neutral. Final acidity is tied to hardness. To get the water more alkaline (in general a good thing for fish), one increases the hardness by adding minerals like calcium carbonate to the water.

So from my hopefully correct memory, I also would skip the alkaline filter, also with Sef in doubting this really makes a difference since increasing hardness, getting water for fish more alkaline, is a difficult process because good things like calcium carbonate (for fish) dissolves so slowly. A quicky, maybe not so good method to mitigate acidity is to add a calculated amount of baking soda, for which there is a chemical reaction. You also get saltier water.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:50 am

The alkaline content in the water in Reno, where I just moved from is very high and my guinea pigs all drank it just fine with no adverse effects.