Tolnaftate 1% aerosol spray for fungal?

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:41 am

My young one, s’mores, has a small, very mild fungal infection on her back. After a bit of research I found out that Tolnaftate in concentrations up to 2% can be used on Guinea pigs, but that’s for the cream. I have a 1% solution, in aerosol format. Is that okay to use to treat it?

I plan to buy cream today at work anyway, but I wanted to use the aerosol as a temporary solution.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:10 pm

I would imagine if you have determined it is a viable drug for treatment, the only issue might be inhalation of the product (just to be safe, I would cover your guinea pig's head).

Edit (read more warnings on that site):
https://www.drugs.com/mtm/tolnaftate-topical.html
How should I use tolnaftate topical?

... Do not take by mouth. Tolnaftate topical is for use only on the skin. Do not use this medicine on open wounds or on sunburned, windburned, dry, chapped, or irritated skin. If this medicine gets in your eyes, nose, mouth, rectum, or vagina, rinse with water.

Do not cover the treated skin area with a bandage that does not allow air circulation ...

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:18 pm

Thank you for your response! Is the common method to spray it on her ears, or on the actual site of fungus? Thank you again, it’s a relief to get a response so quickly.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:48 pm

You would apply it to the site of the fungus.