Moving 2 guinea pigs from AUS to USA...

Xxamandaxx13

Post   » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:48 am

Hi all!

I have been reading through any and all threads about international moves with guinea pigs. I moved to Australia on my own back in late 2019 from the US. I got two beautiful guinea pigs to keep me company in Jan 2021, Poppy and Penelope. When getting my girls, I planned on living here for a number of years. The girls have been my lifeline while living here (It has been MUCH harder to be away from home than I ever imagined it would, mostly due to CoVid). I have now made the decision to move back to the USA in early May of this year (due to a number of personal reasons). Due to this, I need to find a way to bring my girls back with me! I absolutely cannot fathom leaving them here. I have reached out to every transport company I can find and have only received one quote for $4500!!!!! Apparently, due to CoVid restrictions, all animals leaving Australia must be booked through a transport company. This means my options are limited. I have emailed/called over 20 places to be told (by the few that have actually responded) that they do not transport guinea pigs. I have read through the thread by Caspersmom and would LOVE to know which airline she ended up using. I checked to private message her, but it showed she was last active in 2010... Does anyone know of anywhere that does transport guinea pigs to America from Australia? Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated!

I have added some photos of my girls too, so you all can see how adorable and sweet they are!

https://photos.app.goo.www.guinealynx.info/

Xxamandaxx13

Post   » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:19 am

I've also made this handy dandy document of all the places I have reached out to and what they have responded with (if they have responded)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PAj ... sp=sharing

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:06 am

I deleted your duplicate post in placement.

Sounds like you are in a difficult place! The only other thing I wonder about is whether or not an "adjacent"/"nearby" country would have more options. Of course, this would also mean getting you and them to an adjacent country (say, New Zealand) and going from there. Perhaps not fruitful or practical.

I don't think we have any active Australian members right now so do not know if there is anyone who can help you. I hope you can find something more reasonable that will work.

Please let us know how your search goes.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:54 am

Doesn't daisymay live in Australia? She may not know anything about transport though. Perhaps a guinea pig rescue might have some ideas. I don't know if COVID restrictions would be eased by May. If so, you might have more options then.

Xxamandaxx13

Post   » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:14 am

Thanks Lynx! I wasn't sure which board it best belonged on. I haven't thought of that option! I'm not sure if new Zealand has strict laws about animals coming in like we do here .. I will do some research on that! At the moment though the biggest hurdle is getting them out of the country to anywhere :/

Catie Cavy,
Oooo that would be awesome if daisymay could help with any info! There's no rescues near where I am because I'm living regionally, but I could reach out to some Perth ones :) thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:49 am

Catie Cavy, you are right! I don't think she travels much, and not internationally, but daisymay is in Australia.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:08 am

You could check with Soecara at guineapigcages.com. She's in Australia.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:13 pm

Your girls are simply beautiful. I sure hope you can find a way to bring them with you. If money is a problem, maybe we can do a fund raiser to help you with that; GoFundMe or one of those kind of crowdfunding sites, perhaps? I hope it's not out of line to suggest that. If it were me, I'd do whatever it took to get my babies home with me. They are more than just pet guinea pigs. They're my comfort animals and part of my family. I'm positive that Poppy and Penelope are the same for you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:58 am

I hope it's not out of line to suggest that.

gofundme is prohibited in the member signup, if I recall correctly. We used to have people signing up just to solicit funds.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:35 pm

Ok. I can understand that.

Xxamandaxx13

Post   » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:31 am

Lynx, bpatters, CatieCavy, and Renonvsparky,
Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I am so sorry for my delay replying! It has been hectic here with work and move logistics!

I did not get a chance to reach out to the members mentioned, as I decided (after receiving a few other quotes & being mildly impulsive lol) to book the girls' journey with Dogtrainers. They have quoted me $4305 (pre-tax) for the girls from Perth -> Dubai -> Boston, which matches my flight.

I've told the girls that we are moving to America haha! They are absolutely my lil support piggies Renonvsparky! :) I did set up a gofundme for the girls once I realized how expensive it was going to be, but I definitely did not come on here to seek donations. I have shared it with friends and family as well as gofundme specific FB groups. I am also hopeful that once I have sold my belongings here I will be financially ok. It will be the financial recovery period that will get me ahaha!! But that's ok, as I love working and have a few jobs in the works for when I get home to the US. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:33 pm

I hope all goes as planned!