Chew sticks

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:39 am

Whatever doesn't get eaten I throw in the corner of the back yard. I noticed during this cold weather that the rabbits are back there, so it's not really going to waste here either.

Funny, when I was still working, one of the ladies I lunched with lived on a farm. You can imagine what she thought when I told her I was paying $10 for 40 ounces of timothy hay. It just confirmed what she already thought: city people are crazy!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:13 am

Ideally, pet owners get the creme de la creme of timothy hay! And if you don't have good hay handy, it is what you do.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:54 pm

Not sure about Minnesota, but if you can't get hay in this part of the country, you aren't trying. It's everywhere. $45 will get you one of those giant rolls of it that would last even my 11 guinea pigs through the whole winter and then some. I choose to pay the $23 for the 50lb compressed bale of the Standlee brand from TSC because its very good quality. I have yet to get a bad bale of it. Very green and a good mixture of cuts that satisfy all of my pigs. Some of them like the bigger stalks and some prefer the finer cuts. It's pretty clean and free of weeds, cow patties and other junk from the field that often gets baled up with the hay.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:39 am

I haven't been able to find a good bale - I'd love to find something that cheap.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:08 pm

Depends on where you live. Rural Missouri has farms everywhere. That means lots of feed stores and farm supply stores. It also means inexpensive hay.there are online stores that will ship hay.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:11 am

I buy my bird seed at a feed store and they have timothy listed but I don’t know anything about the quality. I’m in an area with lots of farms so I imagine it would be pretty good.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:18 am

Is it an open bale that you can look over or wrapped in plastic like the one I posted from TSC? If it's not wrapped and can be inspected, it might be an option.