Noisy Pig - I'm going crazy

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:22 pm

I was thinking the same thing. Its nothing personal. I don't mean anything bad by this and I don't judge, but maybe both of you would be happier if you found her a new home. If you decide to do that, keep in mind about the perils of "free to a good home". You can read about it here:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 12&t=69095

Don't feel bad if you have to find her a new home. Not everyone is made to have guinea pigs as pets. Also, don't feel bad about charging a rehoming fee, as that is one of the best ways of preventing evil people from getting their hands on her for their sinister purposes. If you want to appease any guilt you feel over charging a rehoming fee, you could donate the money to your local animal shelter. You could also give the person the choice to donate the money themselves and provide you with a receipt as proof. Whatever you decide, I wish you and Piper all the best!

daj

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:51 pm

Sorry if I am persisting too much. But, this one has been nagging at me. I don't mean to sound judgmental, and I apologize if my take is off, but in my experience pigs rattle the cage when they want/need attention. Putting up plastic will be shutting off one of its only means of communicating with you, and if it's suffering from a lack of stimulation, it will just be frustrating and stifling the animal even more. What it's doing is not normal or indicative of a contented, happy animal. It must be as exhausting for it, as it is for you. You detailed things from your perspective, but you didn't speculate at all on what the animal might be experiencing. If you feel hate, that is not good. It's easy to imagine from what you've written, that she could be suffering and depressed.

I can understand not wanting to get another mate in your situation, but what you have said really makes me sad for that animal. It makes me think of a fish in a small jar or a bird in a small cage. I can't bear to look at either. I hope you can find some solution that will be better for both of you.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:26 am

She's actually been fine since I posted this. It was the reinforcement of behavior. I used to be a dog trainer, and grew up with horse trainers, so I should've known better than to reinforce the behavior in the first place. Unfortunately, I did because in the moment it was the easiest thing to do, and it started the pattern that spiraled. It wasn't that she was unhappy or depressed, it's that she was trained if she made enough noise I'd breakdown and give her what she wanted. Don't worry about her, because she is a content and happy pig. She's just a major brat.

When I wrote this I was going on little sleep, and lots of stress. I don't "hate" her.

I did try to rehome her after her cagemate died. But, it's hard to rehome. I'm not sure if it's different in other parts of the country, but here it's rare for someone to easily rehome a small animal.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:31 am

Oh, and to answer your question on cage size, it's a Midwest Cage. She used to be in a 2x4 C&C, but after Bambi died I decided she didn't need something so large. I work from home, and spend most of the day sitting next to her. Most of my recorded lectures involve at least some interruption by her. She's not being neglected or ignored (I can sense your concern from your post, but I promise she is fine). Like I said before.. she's just a brat.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:38 am

I'd take her if you lived closer. She'd have a cage mate here. I have 3 females in one cage, which is a bit much. It would be better in my situation to have 2 pairs rather than a trio. Not so much that I would get another girl for that reason alone, but I might be inclined to take in one more girl if the opportunity presents itself. Not many shelters with single guinea pigs in this part of Missouri.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:18 am

I live in central Iowa, so a bit too far. I wouldn’t want to rehome her far away because she is a dominant pig and I’m not sure how well she would match with another. I’d want to be close enough to take her back if she doesn’t match.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:44 am

Glad to hear things have improved for her, ClemmyOddieIndy.

For new parents, for example, getting babies to fall asleep in a crib can be undermined by various choices they have made (like always sleeping with parents, aiding the baby in sleeping, not allowing it to learn how to put him/herself to sleep). Glad you could evaluate things and make changes so you are both (probably) happier.

Sleep rocks :-)

daj

Post   » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:01 pm

Since she had a mate and then was alone, and then she was with others when you vacationed and is now alone again, I can't help wondering if this has something to do with the behavior starting when she came back from the sitter. I don't know if mirrors or cuddly toys might help with pigs that might be suffering separation anxiety, but maybe there is something along these lines that would help sooth her. I do know pigs long for the companionship of others of their kind, so I would want to be sensitive to what your pig might feel in her guinea pig world. My bottom of the order became noticeably happier when I took two rescues who pay him all the attention he was previously missing. We treat them as best we can, but still, they're taken for our satisfaction first. It's hard to comprehend all they are truly deprived of by not living as nature intended.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:37 pm

Oh yes, a cuddly toy! Some guinea pigs really like them!

And then there are those guinea pigs who like to have something/someone to beat up on ;-)

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:59 pm

Ha! I could see her much more inclined to beating up a toy than loving on it.

In an ideal world she would have a cage mate, but I have to break the cycle. I got Clementine on a whim in 2009. I adopted Odette for her to have a friend a few months later. Then came Indiana a few years later because she was disabled and needed an experienced owner. When Odette died I adopted Bambi to keep a trio so no one would be alone. Clementine died and left Bambi and Indiana. When Indiana died I got Piper for Bambi. Now Bambi has died and it’s 12.5 years after I first got a pig on a whim and I have developed worse allergies and just want a break from the responsibility.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:20 am

There's nothing wrong with that. People thin their herds or get out of pet ownership by attrition all the time. They also rehome them. You have decided to keep her and that's ok. As long as Piper is getting the care and attention she needs and deserves while living her life, you aren't doing anything wrong. I can respect what you are doing.

What I couldn't respect would be you ignoring her, not caring for her, ditching or dumping her off on someone who won't give her a good home. Clearly that isn't the case with you. Obviously you care about her and want to make sure she has a good life in a good home.