KMS Hayloft

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:01 am

I know for Linda it was a continual search for what she thought were the best hays. She would go out and check the fields of the farmers she bought from and had to sometimes find new mills for her products - it was constant work. Where she lived there was sometimes snow! So delivery and pickup of her products were affected. Perhaps 20 years ago it was her dream to sell hay. Started out really really small and gradually expanded.

I can say these days with shipping costs and all the trials of running a business, it is tough. I believe Dan worked for her so had a grasp of what was required. But there are always challenges.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:46 am

I am so sorry to hear this! Both for their family and for all of the guinea pigs! Perhaps we can all convince Oxbow to buy the formula. They can certainly afford it and then won't have to "send [our] comments to the development team" or whatever that form response they send says.

rpaws

Post   » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:31 pm

Checked the website and KMSHayloft is selling the formulas. I hope someone can continue with Linda’s legacy.

I know these times are tough for everyone (covid has hit everything) but this is another little blow in my life for which I have to compensate. I have to continually concentrate on what I DO have, rather than what has been lost.

Anyone know a bluegrass source?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:00 am

Gee, that was one of Linda's specialties (finding bluegrass). If you still have some, I suggest taking some of it to a County Extension Office for positive identification. I think Linda called it bluegrass but unsure if that is the best name for it.

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:54 pm

I just saw on the KMS site they refer you to an amazon store of sold-out hay. I am late to the game, that they're closing down. I am so upset; been using them forever. Where is everyone ordering great hay from?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:48 pm

I'm just buying Oxbow, now. Quality has been very spotty, but draught or fires, etc., is not something they can control. I did contact Chewy last month about a particularly bad batch (mostly brownish yellow and straw-like) and they sent me a replacement that was quite a bit better.

Pellet-wise, I am using Oxbow's Garden Select now.

AviN4
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:30 pm

I've been buying oat hay from Small Pet Select via Amazon. Both me and my guinea pig Moon have been happy with it. Though previously I was buying Oxbow oat hay, not KMS.

The one product I haven't been able a suitable replacement for is the pellets. KMS pellets were in a league of their own and nothing else seems to come close. Moon has been settling for Sweet Meadow but he's not thrilled about it.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:29 pm

We're trying Small Pet Select. The oat and timothy we got seems pretty good, and the pigs are eating their pellets. But we miss Kleenmama, RIP.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:26 pm

I used to use both Small Pet Select and American Pet Diner.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:45 am

I've had good luck with Small Pet Select. I can't do Timothy hay (allergic) and their Orchard Grass is usually very nice.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:13 pm

I’ve been buying Oxbow products, and the 40 oz bags seem to be better than the large ones. The timothy hay has been course, so I switched to meadow and orchard. Then I tried the timothy Stacks and it seems softer, probably because it’s chopped up and compressed. This is Gidget’s favorite. I’ve tried all three types of hay placed in different areas of the cage and the Stacks is the one she starts eating first.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:10 pm

I just ordered some 3rd cut directly from Small Pet Select. Then happened to see the recent reviews on Amazon and they are horrible, almost all one and 2 stars with comments like "brown, dry, coarse, dusty, old" for past couple of months. Now I'm wondering what I'm going to get.