KMS Hayloft

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:55 pm

I have been a KMS customer since the days when Linda ("Kleenmama") owned and operated it, and have sent countless new customers their way over the years. It's just annoying that I can't even get an email response.

AviN4
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:45 am

I received another 5lb of KMS timothy pellets from my subscription. But the mill date is 9/23, which provides further evidence that KMS has been unable to mill any new timothy pellets since then.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:42 pm

Goodness. :( It would be nice if they could at least let their customers know what's going on, but I haven't received a response to any of my 3 emails or my FB post.

Baba

Post   » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:02 pm

I noticed today that the KMS website is down. Did they shot the company down or is it only another 'bump' in the road?
That never happened with Linda.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:38 pm

Looks like there is a hosting issue.

I believe Linda sold the business in February 2018. June/July 2016 Linda had moved to Shopify, where the site still is. Her biggest challenge was getting shipping right. Unsure how well things worked with Shopify (at first they were overcharging for shipping).

AviN4
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:00 pm

KMS definitely had an active Facebook page within the past few months. But now when I search on Facebook, the only page I can find is this one, which hasn't been updated since 2017. If I search on Google, I find this other Facebook page which says: "This content isn't available right now."

It doesn't even cost money to run a Facebook page. So I don't think it's an issue of someone forgetting to pay the bill. I think someone deactivated the page intentionally.

Relatedly, I was charged for a February auto-ship order for pellets, but they never shipped.

Seems to me like they've shut down.

AviN4
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:15 pm

Actually, here's what I got from the Google cache source code of their Facebook page, dated March 7th:
Why we are shutting down our social media pages the end of today.

Stewardship – The job of taking care of something

Change doesn't come easy but it is important to me that in order to continue KMS forward successfully I need to be a good STEWARD of KMS. I have been struggling in many areas and KMS has certainly been one of them the last few months and as a result I certainly have not been a good steward.

I wanted a high-touch interaction with the “Hayloft Family” and there are many of you that truly fulfilled that vision for me.
Sadly though, as a small company, this has become an unrealistic goal and social media is not a strength of mine. We don’t have the teams to be in all places at all times which is an expectation on social media. Especially during the last several months when things have been so hectic for everyone. My personal focus needs to be on managing a supply chain that continues to struggle nationally in order to keep the door open at KMS.

Businesses are closing faster than ever due to the unprecedented longevity of this pandemic. I’m working incredibly hard to avoid KMS becoming one of those statistics.

Shipping supplies have increased 20% in the last 6 months and there are terrible shortages of supplies currently.

Shipping costs have increased 20% to 30% in the last 4-8 months.

Your costs haven’t changed even though we should have made adjustments through these rapid increases. This was a choice I made and stand by it even though it would be called a mistake by many and is costing us now more than ever.

What we are doing.
1. Working hard to revive our supply of Timothy Choice Pellets (Returning in 30 to 40 days)

2. Removing ourselves from social media and focusing on what we are good at. High-Quality Small Animal Feed.

3. Simplifying our lines of Communication.

4. Focusing on small sizes. We can’t get the larger boxes for shipping right now and the costs of shipping is very high and continue to get prices increases regularly.

5. Shifting to Amazon as our primary sales avenue to keep shipping costs down and simplify our delivery process to you.
So perhaps they shut down their website and just plan to sell on Amazon? It's pretty strange that they would do that with no announcement on their home page directing people to Amazon instead.

This seems to be their Amazon store.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:02 am

I hope they really are able to replenish pellets in 30-40 days, whatever is going on. My guy is suffering. I had no idea how much that food was helping his bladder issues until it ran out last month.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:30 am

I don't understand why they couldn't communicate this to their customers via email, at least. I have received nothing from them, and none of my earlier emails were ever answered. At this point, I have sort of resigned myself to the fact that I likely not use KMS in the future because, to Lynx's point, who knows if the formula is even the same now. Which is sad---I have been a customer since the early days, and really do feel that they helped stop the rash of bladder stones that we were having back when we were using the old Oxbow Cavy Cuisine formula.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:39 am

I also did some research into premixes. They can be specifically designed to not add calcium. I can't find written confirmation but still think she said she was not adding in any calcium through the premix, so only what was in the ingredients themselves was present. While I put out that the ingredients may have changed, if they are still using a specially formulated premix, this should lower available calcium.

I think the new owner had a rocky start and had issues with negative feedback. Amazon is certainly simpler for many sellers and may be their best option now. Shopify sure was not a bargain.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:32 pm

Sounds like KMS is really struggling. From what he writes, he might have done better to increase prices to better reflect increased shipping costs and supplies than try to absorb it in the hopes of not turning away old customers.

The last time I bought hay from them and had some issues with the hay, customer service was very helpful. I don't remember when exactly that was but there were already a bunch of complaints about them and between reading the complaints vs my personal experience, it felt like it was 2 totally different companies. I'm not sure why there was such a big difference.

I can't imagine shifting to Amazon will benefit them in the long run in terms of reducing their costs. Hopefully, it does let them get things back on track until they can go back to re-opening their website, whenever that might be.
Running a website on FB might be "free" but there is a huge cost in terms of manpower and time to update and answer questions on FB, email, etc.

Small companies everywhere are struggling. If we want to help the Moms and Pops, I think we really have to support them as much as we can, especially now given how hard the past 2 years have been for everyone. KMS was a fantastic company under Linda who set very high standards in terms of product and customer service. It is a tough act to follow for whoever bought it. It would be a shame to have it go under.

From the various comments here, it sounds like their pellets do fill a real need in terms of helping pigs with bladder issues. Perhaps it would help to let KMS know how much their pellets have helped the pigs who need them and, if it is something that as a customer you would consider, to let KMS know you are willing to help absorb the increased costs of raw materials and shipping as long as you are able to continue to purchase the pellets.

the pay off would be, KMS, with all your help, would hopefully be able to stay in business and which would ultimately help you and your pigs to get the pellets they need.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:35 pm

When I checked their Amazon store, all I saw for pellets were rabbit pellets and alfalfa pellets for guinea pigs.

It is the timothy pellets for guinea pigs we need!