The whole story

Suisan

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:59 am

I saw yesterday that my local animal shelter had posted a 2 month old black and white sow on Petharbor. Being a curious sort, I went down to see if I could help out.

Turns out there were three sows, a slightly larger black and white, a slightly larger tricolor with lots of white and the original micro mini girl. All three are underweight and terrified. They freeze if you handle them.

All three were found down by our waterfront in a plastic bag. Thrown away.

One of the shelter workers who posts here on Guinea Lynx had already given them a bath last night when they came in. It's not surprising to learn that they were filthy. I was able to go back home, get my scale, and dose them all with ivermectin. The smallest is just barely 12 oz, and the other two are 1 lb, 9 oz and 1 lb, 10 oz. All of them have pointy baby toenails. I left some veggies, guinea pig pellets, and alfalfa hay for them (in case they are pregnant). I'll head back on Tuesday when they open up again to see if I can start coaxing them into liking humans.

It's kitten season here -- every feed store and pet store has a large cage of mewling fluff. Another house in my formally very expensive neighborhood (4 br, 3, ba, $570,000) just went into foreclosure. And people are throwing away animals.

I'm a little depressed this morning.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:08 pm

People can be absolutely horrible. It can be real tough seeing what people are capable of.

Thank you for caring.

emilythegreat

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:39 pm

That is so sad. Thank you for helping them.

Suisan

Post   » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:48 am

Well, the girls in question are gaining weight. I'll be heading back on Tuesday to weigh them and treat for mites again.

The larger black and white surely must be pregnant -- she's exploding width-wise. So if she's pregnant, then they all probably are. Sigh.

But they continue to look glossy and happy, if scared. They will eat now when you are holding them. They used to only freeze. Thing is, they are Sooo hungry. And every time I go in there they are either out of hay or out of water. It's making me a bit crazy. On the other hand, it keeps me going in to check on them, so at least I know they are getting guinea pig pellets and not rabbit pellets.

Cielo

Post   » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:02 pm

The economy is forcing people to do things they normally wouldn't do. A family member is waiting to be evicted from his house and they have 2 dogs that will go for sure to our local shelter. I tried to find a future home for them between my coworkers, and eventhough they feel sorry about the dogs nobody would take them. Another thing is that they would only take the dogs to the shelter when is their last day on their house. They are not willing to find a home now, because they are hoping to keep them. I don't think that is in the best interest of the dogs, but I can't talk to them about it.

I am facing problems too. My husband hasn't been able to find a job, since he lost his 3 weeks ago. I wouldn't give up my pets, and I would eat less to buy their food, but is still hard to be in this position...

Wish the best for the girls!

rpaws

Post   » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:49 am

Cielo,

I've been in your husband's position. Best wishes, getting a job is a job and a half.

For anybody if you are in a tough situation and pet (or people food) is needed, try your local food banks. If your areas are anything like mine, they are probably seeing an increasing number of people seeking food assistance for people and/or animals.

Think of it as a "food loan." When times are better, you can then donate.

Plus if people are in a good situation now, please consider donating to your local food bank. Anything helps.

ChocolatePiggies

Post   » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:42 am

They were in plastic bags? That's not even humaine! I didn't think a human would resort to that, that's a disgusting kind of evil.

The economy here in Kansas is still fine, my parents still have their jobs and are getting steady income. I'll even be starting my own job soon to help my cavies expenses, start a medical fund, and expand their cage. Two days and I'm already in love with them.

sammianne

Post   » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:05 pm

Suisan - Thank you for helping these pigs.

ChocolatePiggies

Post   » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:08 pm

I almost forgot,

Many thanks for helping them out! It was a very, very kind thing for you to do, and I'm sure the piggies appreciated it much more.

Suisan

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:22 pm

I've got to make a decision on these shelter pigs. I'm not usually this much of a sucker, but the situation is bothering me.

There is one guinea pig who is definitely pregnant. I felt the babies move today, she's much larger, and you can even see them move. (At least one on each side, but surely no more than two) She herself must be very young -- she has pointy nails and is only 1 lb, 14 oz. Last week she was 1 lb, 10 oz, but she's visibly larger.

Every time I'm in there the guinea pigs are out of hay. This morning I dropped off Cavy Performance alfalfa pellets for them; the kennel director allowed me to put up a sign on the cage directing all volunteers to only feed the guinea pigs the donated food, not the rabbit pellets.

The other two sows of course *may* be pregnant, but there aren't any visible signs yet. One is a pipsqueak at 14 oz and the other is 1 lb, 12 oz. Both are very small and have pointy nails.

I went back this afternoon with my scale to help the kennel director give the girls their second round of Ivermec. I commented that the pregnant one is gaining weight at about the same rate (a couple of ounces a week) as the other two. I'm a little worried that everything is going to the babies.

The kennel director ended up begging me to foster the pregnant one. She's got grids (older model ones) and coroplast for me to use. But she really doesn't want a pregnant sow in the shelter right now. Monday night a community volunteer fed all the dogs cat food, so this morning almost all the dogs had diarrhea. Healthy guinea pigs do OK at the shelter -- the office workers love them and the volunteer director does encourage careful adoptions of the guinea pigs. Not just as "pocket pets" for people who aren't up to handling the responsibilities of cats.

But if I foster this pregnant girl, I'll have to set up another cage. Another cage will make my husband lose his mind. He's said that he doesn't mind me adopting one more for my herd in the 2 x 6, but I know that my setting up a quarantine cage in the office will cause problems.

But I don't want to leave her there either.

I'm in the Northern Bay Area, near Martinez and Vallejo. Anybody interested in fostering a pregnant piggie?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:39 pm

If no one else will help you, I have space and time for her. Just pm me and we can discuss it. Since I do not have a car that could be a drawback and I would want to contact my vet to see how savy he would be in case anything went wrong with the birth.

She and her babies would certainly have unlimited THIRD CUT KM timothy hay. I would contact KM for her alfalfa pellets as well. I have no pets except Lady Bug so there would be no problems there.

Just let me know.

ChocolatePiggies

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:47 pm

Ah, I love to see caring people like Sui and you, Bugs, offering to help. I hope that if you cant work something out, Bugs can.

Best of luck to you two and the pregnant piggy. ~