Post   » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:06 am

Read over:
https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

Might help direct you to the goods!

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:45 pm

Thanks for the replies. Another update on Margaret:

Since she saw the vet last Tuesday I have been giving her a daily dose of probiotic. First what the vet gave (Proviable) and then some BeneBac I saw recommended here and elsewhere. After that and supplementing her food with some sprinkled Critical Care her weight stabilized and went up through the week from ~960g when at the vet (a low for her) to around 1010g last (Friday) night. I also gave her some water mixed with poop from my healthy pigs on Friday.

As far as her poop I think (might be imagining) I am seeing an improvement. Though I am still seeing some "bad" poops (the lighter brown, grainy ones) I am also seeing some dark and more smooth ones like healthier poops. So that was encouraging.

That said I think there is still some trouble. Today her weight was only 977g when I woke up. She also has periods of what looks like discomfort going to the bathroom still. I think actually the problem is urinating again but not 100% sure-- could be a little bit of both since those "bad" poops may also cause some discomfort. I have some metacam handy so I might start giving small daily doses of that. When she is not in pain she is eating and drinking normally, excited for food, etc. But when she is uncomfortable I can really tell.

I think the most worrying thing to me is the unknowns here. Don't know really what the issue is, seems like multiple things at once. Not sure if this is caused by the protozoa in her bladder which the other medicine never cleared up, general UTI/bladder problems which she has had on and off (though I don't think any blood I've seen in her pee recently), or stomach issues due to the gut flora issues or all of the above.

I plan to call the vet on Monday to discuss what the options might be but I'm afraid there won't be a solid diagnosis and prescription. If it's the protozoa she would have to take the metronidazole again and that messed with her stomach which still isn't back to normal and lost her about 70g from before she started it.

So as you can tell, a bit nervous about this but happy when I see her acting normally and eating.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:47 am

I feel your pain. Not knowing what is wrong and what to do to make her better is very frustrating. I have the same problem with one of mine and it's complicated by a lack of available exotic vets who know cavies and the unique problems they can have.

Anyway, an out of balance gut can lead to exactly what you are seeing with Margaret. It seems to domino on you. One problem leads to another and it can seem overwhelming. If you can isolate the cause of the imbalance and fix that, it's easier to get the rest of the problems fixed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:04 am

Has she ever had an xray to check for stones? You mention problems with urinating. Have you seen gritty urine deposits?

I do not know if it would help or not - but think it would be benign (do no harm) if you tried Shilintong. I believe what it does is relax the urethra - no idea how it might affect the digestive system but also my help relax things, perhaps easing up on any pain.

A short mention of it here, where its anti-inflammatory properties are also mentioned:
https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html#shilintong

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:03 pm

She has had 1 or 2 stones in the past and has always had a predisposal towards crystals in her bladder, even since she was small. I did not think it was a stone this time since I didn't see prominent blood in her urine, but I do agree that I will probably get it imaged as soon as I can to rule it out. The pain pattern is definitely in line with a stone, though she also has some discomfort pooping as well (though I think less) which might be due to those rough poops.

I am glad that it doesn't seem to be so painful that it's stopping her from eating or anything. Her appetite has been the same so far. Her weight might just be stabilizing at this lower value too (~975g where her weight prior to all this 3 weeks ago was ~1040g), not sure.

My vet is closed on Sundays but I will call when they open in the morning. I hope I can speak to the vet directly and figure out if/when I can get an appointment.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:06 pm

Actually, pain when pooping is a more significant sign of stones than pain when peeing.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:34 pm

Interesting, bpatters, I was not aware of that. In that case it seems most of the evidence would point towards stones. Obviously not good news but I would prefer to know what the problem is (and hopefully will get some imaging soon to back that up) to act on it rather than guessing.

I will keep you all posted.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:13 pm

Made it to the vet today with Margaret. Was a mixed night for her-- she was still in pretty frequent pain (even with some Metacam) but I did catch her nibbling some hay occasionally. She was semi-excited for her food in the morning but had lost more weight overnight.

The vet did an ultrasound and then an xray and did not detect any stones. But he did find evidence of a UTI (she has had a few of those) and saw there was plenty of blood in her urine. So she started on an antibiotic for that today (Bactrim, which has been helpful for her past UTIs). I was thankful it doesn't seem to be a stone and hope the antibiotic can clear it up. She seemed a little better this afternoon/early evening (eating more, out more, more relaxed) but at the moment she seems uncomfortable again.

Interestingly, harkening back to the beginning of this whole thread, he looked at her urine and found that the protozoa are now gone, which is nice. And also her poops are starting to get back to normal, but still a ways to go there I think.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:06 pm

Good news that there are no stones, and that the protozoa are gone. How are you dosing the Metacam? Some of us have found it more effective to increase it slightly and give it twice a day vs. once a day. I've also found Shilintong to be helpful in reducing pain and inflammation with my own UTIs.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:12 pm

I have been giving .3-.4 mL of the (.5mg/mL) solution twice a day for the last 2 days or so. Though actually the first day I might have just done like .2 mL. I agree with the twice a day dosage and so does my vet. He mentioned something about that metacam might work through guinea pigs systems very quickly.

I did read a little about Shilintong earlier in the thread but was a bit unsure about where I would obtain it. Though I think if things don't improve I will seek out anything that might help.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:20 pm

I buy mine online at Amazon.com.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:22 pm

Oh, neat! Thanks for the link.