Marmot - bladder stone

puffin

Post   » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:25 am

I can’t thank you enough for your tips today (and reassurance!). The 4 am feeding was a struggle until I switched to a half ml syringe that she naturally bit and then I could wedge in her mouth. Once we got that down, it went faster, although it was 630 before I’d finished. She had some greens in there too. I got about 13 mls. I hope that it is sufficient getting it in slowly (eg 5 ml per hour versus all in one setting. But we’re doing our best so it will have to do. My husband will help but he is impatient and I worry he will go too fast for her. I think with the half ml technique I could trust him. It’s hard giving up control even though I’m exhausted. I hope she can start eating more hay on her own soon, and that it is clear cut when we can ease up on the CC.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:03 am

You have to remember that this is a three-pound pig and you're an adult human. There's no way the pig can win this battle if you hold them firmly and get the food far enough back in their mouths that they have to chew.

I found that 10 ml. syringes worked just fine, but the smaller ones are easier. But you need a bunch of them, and use a larger syringe to load the smaller ones. You can also get pet feeding syringes that hold more but have a longer tip that work for some pigs.

puffin

Post   » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:47 am

I got a chuckle out of that! It certainly feels like it’s advantage pig here! I blended up some wheatgrass and water and mixed with the CC and using the half ml method got another 8 or so in her in 15 mins. I’m going to let her rest for a few hours now that I know she’s got some food in her from our early: long morning. Her cage mate has started tooth chattering at her, which is weird. I think everyone is cranky with all the interruptions and routine changes this week.

puffin

Post   » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:04 pm

We’re doing great at the hand feeding now. I’m doing 10-15 mls every 3-4 hours and offering some greens, which she enjoys. She is producing some droppings which look like regular ones but then gobbling them up (they don’t seem to be cecotropes). She nibbles a little hay but still seems pretty low energy and not incredibly enthusiastic about eating on her own. She is very interested in cardboard however. She looks relaxed when she rests (not hunched or puffed up) and is doing a lot of resting. She’s on metacam for pain and is getting benebac and simethicone. She feels fat and is gaining weight from the CC, but doesn’t seem bloated. It seems like we’ve been at this status quo for days now and I’m hoping that’s because of the stress of going to vets and now that she’s home (and if I can let her rest) she perk up.

Will the amount of CC Im offering discourage her from eating hay? I am so hoping her hearty appetite comes back soon. It’s hard to see her so low key.

I hope everyone has a good and peaceful holiday!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:25 am

If she’s enjoying the CC you could try to make hay smoothies in a blender. I did this when my pig wasn’t eating. Blend up hay, CC, a few greens or carrot pieces if they are favorites, and add some water. I used a Ninja smoothie blender so I needed to make more than a cup at a time. I dropped spoonfuls of the mixture on a cookie sheet and froze them. Then I could leave them in the cage for a while as they thawed and Lacey would eat by herself. It’s nice if you don’t have to syringe feed.

puffin

Post   » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:15 pm

I wish she were enjoying the CC. We are managing the support feedings with her but she is eating very little on her own. She is feeling very fat and gaining weight, but producing very little still. What she produces (normal or cecotrope) she gobbles up. She was a little more active today but not her usual self. I took her in the garden and she was very interested in grass. I let her graze a little bit (I don’t want to upset her tummy, but it was good to s see her moving and eating). She has nibbled hay inside and a little corn husk. I sure hope she perks up soon and can eat on her own. Could the support feedings discourage her from eating on her own? I would think not, but am wondering what else I can do to get her back to her old self.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:56 pm

I think eating normal and/or cecotrope poops is a method of "self medication", regaining more nutrients.

I can remember a vet suggesting to cut back or quit the hand feeding to "force" a guinea pig to eat on its own. I think it is a method doomed to failure. In the time I have been here, when guinea pigs are weak, ill, lose appetite, you do ALL YOU CAN to get food into them. It is what will give their bodies time to recover. A scale is your friend for getting a ballpark idea of whether or not they are eating enough. If there is a pattern of weight loss, you hand feed. I do not think there is a downside to hand feeding if a guinea pig is losing weight (and there is no medical reason, like a blockage, to not feed).

puffin

Post   » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:40 pm

She seems to be getting incrementally better, but it sure is slow. I’m glad she’s eating the poops (she ate her sisters too). That seems like she is trying! She is definitely not losing weight - she has put on about 90 grams this week. I’m feeding every 3-4 hours better 10-15 mls of CC. I’m not sure if I should do less but more often or if it matters too much so long as it’s no more than about 4 hours between feeds. The vet saw no blockage (and she is producing some poops, just not much). I think the massage pad helps and I’m trying to encourage her to move around a bit. Thank you for the reassuring words and for listening!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:56 pm

If you feel she is at a good weight and is maintaining it, you can certainly cut back on the hand feeding a bit. Hoping she stabilizes!

puffin

Post   » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:00 pm

Marmot is about the same today. Very little interest in food or hay, although a few nibbles here and there. I’m going to increase the poop soup to see if that helps. I feel so helpless and worried for her. Thankfully the vet is open tomorrow so perhaps a reexam will help us determine next steps. She continues to eat her droppings so it’s hard to tell output. Thank you again for thinking of us!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:12 pm

"I feel so helpless and worried for her."

So many of us know that feeling. But you are doing your best to monitor her weight and make sure she has food moving through her system. If you see the vet tomorrow, let us know what he says.

puffin

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:44 pm

I really appreciate being able to put my thoughts down here. So many do not understand how deeply one can love a little guinea pig!

We went to very today. Marmot’s X-ray looked perfect. No more bloat and her cecum and intestines were full. She left some droppings and ate some hay there, and was bright and alert (probably to spite me as payback for all the syringe feedings). The vet suggested we ease up on the hand feeding for a day to see if less frequently may spur her to eat a little more on her own. I will feed her at 10 pm and my husband will do 6 am. She had some feed at 1 pm and did nibble a little salad and hay this evening. Her weight was down 5 grams between 2 pm and 7 pm but I think that is in the noise. We will check in with vet tomorrow to see how she is doing.

She is following Bonnie around trying to eat her droppings and seems to be energetic but still not with quite her usual appetite. I’m hoping she does ok over the night. She did do ok last night with 6 hours between feedings - her weight has been stable. I desperately need sleep myself - I’m exhausted and am hoping the sort of blah I feel is that/allergies.